Camera memory card slots

Discussion in 'Windows' started by blue, Sep 22, 2009.

1. blue

blue

I have an Aspire One. (Running XP Home Edition, version 2002, SP-3, IE-8, classic mode, via wi-fi spots.)

Although I've been using it, for word processing and spreadsheets for months, I've never tried to transfer photos from my digital camera to the computer. I can remove the memory card from the camera, and insert it into the Aspire One slot - but nothing happens that I can see. What is the next step one should do after inserting the memory card into the slot? I'm guessing I should open some program, but what? I would think the computer would recognize the memory card, and show me a listing of its contents (jpg files with numbers assigned by my camera.)

Any enlightenment appreciated.

blue, Sep 22, 2009
  2. blue

melhiore

Let's start from the beginning. What type of memory card you use?? Which slot you putting it in?? If you plug in USB Pendrive is system showing you menu with choice of actions??

melhiore, Sep 22, 2009
  3. blue

blue

"What type of memory card you use?"

The only text on the card reads: "SunDisk, 512 mb, SD"

"Which slot you putting it in?

The slot is located on the left edge of my Aspire One, on the end away from the screen hinge.

"If you plug in USB Pendrive is system showing you menu with choice of actions?"

I don't know what a "USB Pendrive" is so I can't answer that question. When I plug in the
    memory card I do NOT see a menu with a choice of actions.

Thanks.

blue, Sep 22, 2009
  4. blue

melhiore

If you don't know what Pendrive is you do not know how to set up automatic run of CD-ROMs, USB drives and all removable media stuff - it's called autoplay...

Try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Looks like there is something wrong with your system...

melhiore, Sep 22, 2009
  5. blue

blue

"If you don't know what Pendrive is you do not know how to set up automatic run of CD-ROMs, USB drives and all removable media stuff - it's called autoplay..."

It is correct that I don't know how to do those things. I have never wanted to have any of those items run automatically. I don't see the connection between that state of my knowledge and my goal of copying photos from a memory stick onto my Acer Aspire One hard drive.

"Try this:"

I'll look at that site.

"Looks like there is something wrong with your system."

That is always a possibility. However, I'm inclined to think it is operator (me) ignorance, not an equipment failure.

Thanks.

blue, Sep 22, 2009
  6. blue

melhiore

OK. In case if you do not want any of removables to start aumagically you need to insert SD and go to My Computer. Check if SD card is visible there...

melhiore, Sep 23, 2009
  7. blue

blue

"... you need to insert SD and go to My Computer. Check if SD card is visible there... "

That's what I did in the first place, and why I posted my question here. The SD card is not visible.

Thanks.

blue, Sep 23, 2009
  8. blue

melhiore

OK. So let's start from the beginning. Are you sure you have drivers installed for card readers?? You can check that by going to System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager... Are there any components with "!" or "?" symbol??

melhiore, Sep 23, 2009
  9. blue

Forone

I see somebody's started you down this path: if you suspect a driver problem, try Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Driver and look down the list to Disk Drives. See if there are red Xs. If so, right click and "Uninstall" then reboot XP. The driver should reinstall when rebooted and recognize the card again.

It sounds like you're using the left side SD slot, which the Acer A150 seems to want to use as a supplementary hard drive. If you put in a supported data card, Windows Explorer should open and show the card as Drive with a drive letter in My Computer.

But, when I put in one of my Canon formatted camera cards my left side slot is "dead" . On the other hand, the SD slot on the right side opens the same camera card with Explorer as expected. I hadn't noticed it before since I've always used the right-side slot. I also find there's only one SD/MMC device shown in the Device Manager. Maybe somebody else has the mechanics of this if there's some reason to prefer the left side slot. In any case, the right side SD slot should recognize the SD card.

As an alternative, my Canon cameras all have direct USB connectors with cables. Making that connection and switching on the Camera (to Playback mode) shows a Camera icon (instead of a new drive letter) in My Computer and a different dialog comes up with options including the XP Camera and Scanner wizard or installed software like Photoshop, if it is registered to image types. I find that wizard good enough for renaming the image files, putting them in a new folder on the hard drive, and deleting them from the Camera. Hope this helps.

Forone, Sep 23, 2009
  10. blue

blue

Beginnings, beginnings, beginnings ... that turns out to be the problem. I have discovered that I was not inserting the SD card far enough into the slot. I had never done that before, and was shy about using much force for fear of breaking something. I now find that I can use the proper amount of force and get the slot into the proper position. When that happens Windows Explorer does recognize the card and I can proceed as desired. Thanks to all who read and posted replies.

blue, Sep 23, 2009
  11. blue

melhiore

Wow. Glad you have it working :D I wasn't expecting this type of "problem"...

melhiore, Sep 24, 2009
  12. blue

Clarise

I know it sounds silly, but I'm a first-timer who has never used the card slot before. I have recently tried it but I am afraid I don't know how to put in and remove the card. I tried removing the temporary plastic material that is placed in the slot whilst not in use, then placed the SD card from my phone (not from a camera like this thread title is about, but a memory card just the same). Since it does not seem to be recognized, I tried pushing it a bit more until it snaps and bounces back. Still nothing happens. I'm thinking it's either because the memory card is not being recognized due to some damage in the card or because I have put in the memory card incorrectly.

I am hoping someone can help me with the following:
    > how do i properly put in the memory card?
    > how do i remove it? (The card is stuck and it won't snap out of place.)

Please forgive my ignorance, I only seek your help. Thanks in advance.

Clarise, Dec 29, 2009
Ask a Question