Can an XP to Seven migration fix ANY video issues?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Inuya5ha, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Inuya5ha

Inuya5ha

Hi, I'm fed up with the Intel GMA 500 driver inabilities, such as your video driver does not support DirectDraw (making it unable to play any Age of Empires and tons of games) or the cannot run DOS in fullscreen mode issue.

If I knew Intel had created such an USELESS XP DRIVER I would have bought an HP or any other Atom based netbook. :x

:?: Question: If I install Windows 7, will any of these issues be solved? Is the Intel GMA 500 Win7 driver as useless as the XP one?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I can't believe this machine can only be used to browse the Web, when it has twice as much memory than my desktop PC. Whyy the **** they had to use an Intel driver... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Inuya5ha, Apr 27, 2010
  2. Inuya5ha

Nissan_350Z

good news is, that yes, the windows 7 drivers DO support 3D.. they are more maintained and updated a lot more often than the XP drivers. the local video is near perfect.. it's the flash video these machines dont like. the windows 7 on this is flawless.. i've never had ANY performance issues from it.. if you need any help installing windows 7 onto this.. let me know. :D

Nissan_350Z, Apr 30, 2010
  3. Inuya5ha

Pytheas

The lack of decent driver support for the GMA500 under Windows XP was the main (and probably the only) reason that I moved to Windows 7. I was really pleased with the combination of Windows XP and Acer 751h but the video performance under XP was not satisfactory...

Pytheas, Apr 30, 2010
  4. Inuya5ha

samusishere

HI, i have had it with the drivers for the gma 500. THis netbook can do so much yet nothing is being done with it. When i try to play a game i get weird rendering erers and pauseing in the game. like in gta i get green blocks every 3 secounds andd i dont know why, does enyone know how to fix this.?

samusishere, May 25, 2010
  5. Inuya5ha

Pytheas

I think that the only fix is the purchase of a cheap laptop in place of the netbook. Just buy the cheapest laptop you will find and you'll find out that it is way more powerful than the 751h.
    Unfortunately not only the netbook is not powerful enough for playing games, but the GMA500 drivers are lame and they don't make proper usage of the card's real potential...

Pytheas, May 25, 2010
  6. Inuya5ha

samusishere

well actwally to combat your statement. when i sent my acer in fro matnence they sent mine back with the Z530 processor, and i overclock it to 2 ghz so its more then enough horsepower to run my games witch most only requre one ghz for minum. and the gma 500 now has 768mb of ram to use so thts more then enough as the games i play barely take 200. andd ive seen it do things under liniux it cant under wnidows, and the drivers are nowhere near as good. so its definately intel and there lackluster drivers

samusishere, May 25, 2010
  7. Inuya5ha

Pytheas

I was referring to the original Atom Z520 @ 1.3GHz, and you have a Z530 @ 2GHz, so I rest my case. :?
    All I can say is the unsufficient GMA500 drivers are to blame...

Anyway, I would never buy a netbook in order to play games: It was designed as a portable machine for lighter applications, IMHO.

Pytheas, May 25, 2010
  8. Inuya5ha

samusishere

well to be honest i did not but this netbook for that purpose either. but it would be nice if i could get smooth aero. witch this machine is more then cappable of

samusishere, May 26, 2010
Ask a Question