Can i install Open Office on a external SDHC card ?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Pierrette1012, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Pierrette1012

Pierrette1012

Hi, i recently purchased the Acer One with a Window XP Home installation on a 8 GB SSD drive, the unit aslo included a 8GB SDHC card , i would like to know if it is possible to install a program on the SDHC card such as Open Office,i have only 3 GB of space left on the SSD drive that i really want to leave empty for updates, i heard that with Linux once you put in a SD card on the left side of the unit both drives combine, i don't think it is the same with windows, i see 2 separate drives /C and /D , if it is possible how do i install the software ? I was thinking downloading Open Office and putting the installer on the SDHC card but will it not install on C/ drive since thats where Windows is installed ? Thank you

Pierrette1012, Feb 22, 2009
  2. Pierrette1012

hjongste

Open Office unpacks to about 250 Mb of HDD space. So plenty of room. Yes, Linux combines the internal and external SD cards, but if you see a C: and a D: drive it should be fairly easy to unpack and run OOffice from the external SD card. If you move the downloaded installer file to the D: drive (assuming this is your external SD, just unpack it there by doubleclicking it in Windows Explorer.

hjongste, Feb 22, 2009
  3. Pierrette1012

Pierrette1012

Thanks, i have one more question before i try it, sorry if my question sounds stupid i am new at this and i want to make sure i don't mess up. Once installed, if later on i wanted to unistall the program would i use the "Add/Remove programs" from the "Control Pannel" on C: ? Will the program installed on my D: drive being my SD card show with all the other programs installed on C: drive ? knowing that i can safely and easely remove the program just like i would with any other software installed normally on the main drive C: would re assure me.

Pierrette1012, Feb 22, 2009
  4. Pierrette1012

LarryDS

I don't know about installing on a SD card, but I know it can be done on SanDisk U3 USB memory devices. There are several programs that have been designed to run totally from the usb device and not interfer with the operating system of the host computer. Open office is one of the available programs.

LarryDS, Feb 25, 2009
  5. Pierrette1012

Pierrette1012

Thanks, i will give it a try,

Pierrette1012, Feb 25, 2009
  6. Pierrette1012

theo54au

Open Office has a fully portable version of its software and is downloadable from here:
    http://portableapps.com/
    There are many more fully portable programs from this site. All can be installed on SD card, Memory stick etc. :D
    Cheers

theo54au, Feb 27, 2009
Ask a Question