can I install regular Ubuntu 9.04?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by viteh, Jul 20, 2009.

1. viteh

viteh

or do I have to use the Netbook Remix?

viteh, Jul 20, 2009
  2. viteh

DutchDK

No problem in installing the "regular" Gnome based Ubuntu 9.04, nor the Xubuntu or Kubuntu 9.04 deriatives. UNR, and the deriatives share the same kernel and thats whats important as far as the device support goes. It's just a question of which desktop environment you prefer.
    Although if you install the UNR version, it also contains the "regular" Gnome based desktop environment, and you can switch between the UNR launcher environment and the Gnome desktop with one click.

DutchDK, Jul 20, 2009
  3. viteh

garrovick

I have the full 9.04 on my AOA 150.

garrovick, Jul 21, 2009
  4. viteh

viteh

thanks

I'm just kinda lazy to dl the UNR because I have the shipit cd around

viteh, Jul 22, 2009
  5. viteh

libssd

You can't tell which one you like without some experimentation. While trying to decide which version I wanted to use, I downloaded Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and UNR and installed from a USB flash drive to an 8gb SDHC card. During these experiments, I removed the onboard HDD (D150) to avoid any "accidents" that might fry Windows XP. Each version had its pluses and minuses, but I ended up with desktop Ubuntu as the one that felt best to me. After I made my choice, I turned the machine off, plugged the HDD in, started, and partitioned it without any surprises or guesswork. The Ubuntu Pocket Reference and Guide, by Keir Thomas, is a good starting point for the various flavors of Ubuntu, but nothing beats hands-on experimentation.

libssd, Jul 23, 2009
Ask a Question