Can I partition the SSD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by cartesian, Sep 4, 2009.

1. cartesian

cartesian

I have the Aspire one with the 8GB SSD and the 8GBSD card installed.

I have been reading the forums on dual booting and was wondering if it was possible to partition the SSD and SD card to enable this?

Thanks. :geek:

cartesian, Sep 4, 2009
  2. cartesian

viva

No problem, you can do this. When I still had the A110L, I partitioned it off a Ubuntu Live CD on a USB stick with Ubuntu's partition editor (gparted). It doesn't matter what system is installed and what system is to be installed, I mentioned Ubuntu just because there is the app on the live system and it's a pretty intuitive OS also to non-Linux users.

But a 8 GB SSD with two systems leaves nearly no place for user data and additional applications. Yes, you can store data on the SD, but most apps won't work when installed on the SD.

viva, Sep 5, 2009
  3. cartesian

cartesian

Thanks viva - so even if I got a 16GB or 32GB SD card I couldn't install and run applications from them?
    Dual boot is off the agenda then?

cartesian, Sep 5, 2009
  4. cartesian

viva

Hi,

when partitioning, gparted (or whatever you use) sees the SSD and the SD as seperate drives. So you can't add the 8GB SSD drive and a, say, 16 GB SD to get two partitions of 12 MB each. To install a dual boot, you will have to put both systems on your SSD.

See also viewtopic.php?t=13468

viva, Sep 6, 2009
Ask a Question