Can I put a 500 GB hard drive in a D150?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by kristikay, Jan 25, 2010.

1. kristikay

kristikay

I have a D150 which has been upgraded to 2 GB RAM but still has only 160GB hard drive. I'd like to change the hard drive to a 500 GB drive and before i order it I want to be sure the BIOS will see it. I contacted live chat and they told me it has a 250 GB limitation, but I'm not sure that's right. Anybody know?

kristikay, Jan 25, 2010
  2. kristikay

brufi

I have a Samsung HM500JI installed and it works fine.

brufi, Jan 30, 2010
  3. kristikay

kuroi

I'm running a seagate momentus 500gb, no problems.

kuroi, Feb 3, 2010
  4. kristikay

NorCalAspire

Try to find one that doesn't run too hot, that's the main problem. 7200 rpm, multiple platter HD's may throw off too much heat. See if you can find the wattage consumption and try to match the consumption of a stock 16/250 gb drive. Also look at the so-called "green" or "eco" drives from Western Digital and others, they use less power hence generate less heat.

Amazon is an excellent source of disk drive reviews.

NorCalAspire, Feb 23, 2010
  5. kristikay

rfielder

I put a 320Gb 7200rpm hard drive into my AOD250, and found that it runs cooler than the 160Gb drive it replaces. Seems to draw less power too, but I did not confirm this via the specs.

I know you are asking about the AOD150, just relating my experience that faster drives sometimes use more advanced technology in a new generation of drives, resulting in power and heat requirements not following an expected trend.

Another example is the WD VelociRaptor 300Gb 10000rpm drive in my main system - it is the coolest drive in my systems, but is not in an area with better airflow. Just because it is faster does not mean it will be hotter, every time.

rfielder, Feb 27, 2010
Ask a Question