Can I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Shiny, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Shiny

Shiny

Okay so basically I have 8Gb of space on my Acer Aspire with linux.
    After all these games and such that came with the laptop, I have 2.7 left! That's good for like.... nothing!
    If theres some way to delete these built in games and apps I don't need, that'd be great!

But, my real question is....
    Can I send in my laptop or buy components in order to upgrade this laptop?
    For example, is there a way to:
    1) change linux to xp
    2) get more space! (so i can dl games and such)
    ...all without buying a whole new laptop? About how much would this cost?

Thanks so much for the help! ^^

Shiny, Jan 1, 2009
  2. Shiny

GvidoR

Yes, you can change Linux to XP.
    Yes, you can buy a 1.8" ZIF drive to replace the SSD.

Installing XP would be no problem, but if you want more information about installing a ZIF hard disk in your Aspire One, check out the Hacks and Modifications part of the forum.

GvidoR, Jan 1, 2009
  3. Shiny

melhiore

AA1 is not meant to be upgraded by Acer it self. People are doing some hardware mods to upgrade this PC on their own...

Yes you can but be aware that performance of WinXP on SSD is not very good. There is a lot of tricks to improve that. All answers and tips you can find in this forum...

In case of default Linpus installation you can get more space by using SD card in left hand side slot. Capacity of SD is added automatically to SSD so you can have more space for downloaded software - that's easy way. If you need more hardcore way of getting more space you can change SSD to HDD or you can install CF card. More info also in this forum...

melhiore, Jan 1, 2009
  4. Shiny

daldred

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/reclaiming-disk-space-on-acer-aspire.html tells you how to reclaim quite a bit of space.

You could do that, but you said 'upgrade'!

If you buy an SDHC card, and put it into the left-hand SD card slot on the One, the storage on that card will be added automatically to the space on your SSD. So for £8.35 (amazon.co.uk, Transcend SDHC 8Gb) you can double the storage.

daldred, Jan 1, 2009
  5. Shiny

Shiny

Omg! You guys are amazing!
    Thanks so much! ^^
    (but I'm not that tech savy, so I'll probably not want to take apart my aspire by myself ._.)

Shiny, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question