Can I use citrix ica on default AAO linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Poldie, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Poldie

Poldie

I'm a developer with no experience of Linux. This box will be what I use to learn a bit about it, but I'm primarily interested in getting it because I have to dial into work for support purposes, and for that I *have* to use the `citrix ica` client. I've checked, and it's supported on the version of linux which runs on the eee pc 701, but the screen/keyboard is a bit crap on that model, and for the money I'd need to spend on the 900/901 model I can get an AAO. Does the `citrix ica` client run on the Linpus plus linux?

Perhaps this should be a seperate question, but can you install more than one distro of linux on the box so that I can choose, at boot time, which one to use for that session? I don't wish to dismiss Linpus without ever having used it, but assuming Linpus doesn't support citrix (or vice versa), could I just install another one? I've seen the instructions for installing a different linux and although it doesn't look too complicated, I'm a little concerned that I'll mess it up and end up with a non-booting AAO.

Poldie, Sep 17, 2008
  2. Poldie

scottro

I haven't tried the ica client on Linpus--it runs without problem on Fedora, but that's using a later version of firefox.

You can dual boot. It's not that complex, but if you're planning to do so, I would buy the XP model with the 120 gig hard drive.

There are three reasons for this. One is obviously the extra space. The second is that the SSD has rather slow write speeds, and I've found with Ubuntu and Fedora that applying massive updates (which happens after initial install, since the install image is usually behind) can be painfully slow. The third is that the default Linpus installation makes this a little harder than most distributions make it, and actually, I doubt I'd use it in a dual boot situation--I'd probably put two other distributions on it.

Or leave Windows on it, shrink the Windows partition and install two other distros in addition--or even one other distro in addition.

There are detailed howtos on how to do that (install with MS already installed) all over the web. I think though, that if you're new to Linux, you'd probably be better off with Ubuntu than Fedora--quality control is better as Fedora is more or less a testbed for RedHat and tends to put things in before they're working properly.

scottro, Sep 17, 2008
  3. Poldie

Poldie

I didn't know citrix required any given version of firefox. Isn't there a problem with sticking firefox 3 on this box? I read it breaks some of the apps which come with the os.

I'm going to buy the Linux model with the 120 gig hard drive. It's cheaper in the uk, though with only half a gig of ram.

I'm new to linux, and I've heard good things about ubuntu. I'd imagine, though, that I'll have to find a version of that for the AAO, and not try and install the regular (full) version? Also, I'd have to check that whichever one I use works with citrix. I don't mind having 5 distros if there are pros and cons to each, assuming one of them lets me run citrix!

Cheers for your advice.

Poldie, Sep 17, 2008
  4. Poldie

scottro

I don't know that ICA requires FF3. It's simply that that's what I've used with it. (At home, I use other machines for that, having more to do with a VPN client that works with my company's VPN than a Linpus limitation.

There are various detailed howtos on installing Ubuntu and customizing it for the AA1. I would recommend, I think, the onelinux.org version, as they've customized it so that it will work with the Aspire One.

They have a wiki detailing the installation. I found it simple, but it's hard to be objective since my work is primarily running Linux servers.

The 512 MB of RAM will actually be, I think, sufficient for the onelinux.org installation. In my case, I went with the lowest price one, figuring that it will be obsolete quickly, so figured I'd spend the least amount of money needed for instant gratification. :)

I think with the onelinux.org Ubuntu version, you'll be fine. There's a very active Ubuntu forum, and as I'm sure you've seen, many Ubuntu users on this list as well. (I'm no Ubuntu expert personally, though I've installed both Hardy and onelinux on the 8 Gig SSD without difficulty.

scottro, Sep 17, 2008
  5. Poldie

mookie_black

mookie_black, Sep 17, 2008
  6. Poldie

Poldie

>Yes
    >I used the following location
    >http://the.taoofmac.com/media/Acer/Aspi ... notes.html
    >
    >I then pointed the default firefox to goto wifca executable when prompted.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you're answering `yes` to, nor do I know what 'wifca' is or what it has to do with the URL you provided.

(A few mins later)

That's an odd site - I keep seeing empty boxes on it! There's a link marked 'citrix' on the right of that page which mentions 'wfica' - perhaps this is connected to your post in some way.

Poldie, Sep 17, 2008
  7. Poldie

Grim Squeaker

The article referred to:

Grim Squeaker, Sep 17, 2008
  8. Poldie

Poldie

>I would recommend, I think, the onelinux.org version, as they've customized it so that it will work with the Aspire One.
    >They have a wiki detailing the installation. I found it simple, but it's hard to be objective since my work is primarily running Linux servers.

The steps for preparing a USB key with the image and installer are predictably complicated for Linux users, but for windows it's just `download these two files, then run one of them and it'll copy the other one to the usb key`.

A couple of questions: When it installs onelinux is it going to add it to a list of OSes to boot from? And at the bottom of (just) the Ubuntu section it says:

"During the installation, it's recommended that you choose EXT2 as the filesystem (you'll have to manually edit your drive)."

I'm thinking that this applies to however you downloaded and built the installation package on the USB key, right? Isn't this going to destroy data on the hard drive, including Linpus? I thought Linux used EXT2 anyway, so wouldn't it already be in that format? Perhaps this step is for people who bought AAOs with XP on?

Thanks for your help.

Poldie, Sep 17, 2008
  9. Poldie

scottro

My memory is hazy on the onelinux installation. A normal Ubunut installation gives you options for choosing the file system and partition scheme, and I think onelinux does as well.

By default now, most Linux installations choose ext3--similar to ext2 but with journalling, meaning quicker recovery in case of a crash. Ubuntu is one of them. That's why they suggest changing from the defalt of 3 to 2--but that's for the SSD. The aim is to prevent writing to the drive. Journalling has to write to the drive to preserve data.

Sooo, if my memory serves me, when you install, you'll be able to choose a partitioning scheme.

As a rule, if you want Windows on a system, it's easiest to install it first, as it overwrites the MBR. Then, put on Ubuntu--that will see the Windows installation and offer to add it to the boot manager menu.

scottro, Sep 17, 2008
  10. Poldie

Poldie

For the record, I will not be buying an Aspire with Windows on it, nor will I put windows on it.

Are you saying that when I install a Linux distro it'll create a partition for itself, and add itself to the list of OSes I can load and run at boot time? And that it's that particular partition which will be formatted with the chosen 'partition scheme' (ext2 or 3 etc)? That would make sense to me - it would mean each OS was completely seperate, would have no chance of corrupting/removing each other.

Poldie, Sep 18, 2008
  11. Poldie

scottro

Yes. That's what I'm saying. (Writing actually, but why split hairs?) :)

When you install Linux, the majority will show you your disk and offer to partition it with a default scheme, remove existing partitions, leave existing partitions, etc. You can then choose your partioning scheme or leave it to the installer. For the 512 MB RAM machine, I would give it a gig of swap space. This can usually be shared by all distributions using it.
    When you install a second distribution, it will give you similar options, leave the other partitions, blah blah. You can then create a second partition for it, and as a rule it will be able to use the first distro's swap space. (Sometimes, one can run into problems because the default with many distributions now is to give it a UUID lable, (unique ID--UUID may not be the correct acronym, I'm writing from memorya, and I've run into situations where this regression--and yes, it's a regression, it was never an issue before this---and if the two distributions use different numbers, one won't see the swap--you'll have to recreate it, which is trivial. However, I've only seen this happen once or twice.

Many, though not all distributions, will not only see there's another Linux installation, they'll be able to figure out which is, and offer to install the boot loader and include a label for the already existing installation. I believe that both Ubuntu and Fedora do this.

Note that the wireless card and LEDs might be problematic. At present, most distributions are shipping with a 2.6.26 kernel, which requires drivers from MadWifi. (Not all that difficult, I have a page I put up about it that has been tested by various newcomers.) Later kernels, e.g., Fedora's Rawhide and Ubuntu's Intrepid (these are alpha versions) will have built in support for the driver. The onelinux version that I mentioned before preinstalls the MadWifi driver for you.

scottro, Sep 18, 2008
  12. Poldie

Poldie

I've ordered a 1gig machine (I knew I'd regret getting only half a gig) with the 120gig hard drive. If the swap file is used in Linux for the same purpose as in Windows, is there any way I can keep this file in ram instead?

I'm getting away from my original Linux questions here, but is there a way of stopping the hard drive from spinning if no data is being read from it? If I'm just surfing, or reading an ebook, and it's all cached into ram, and/or nothing is being written to (other than temporarily), there's no read to waste the battery pointlessly spinning the disk, is there?

I don't understand much of this, and because of this I'm a little worried that if "it" goes wrong, I won't recognize it, and therefore won't be able to do anything about it. Given that I imagine that Linux distros on this box are quite small (0.5 -> 3 gigs, I'm thinking) and I have enough space for loads of them, would you recommend me just genuinely giving each distro (I'll probably never have more than 3 or 4 at a time, and I expect to settle on 1 or 2 once I've found ones I'm happy with) it's own space including swap file/partition?

But none of them will just remove the existing option? Or if they do, it's easy to add the original one to the newly installed one's menu, right?

I know nothing about Linux kernels, nor have I heard of MadWifi (I don't have any experience of Wifi at all, really, and need to get a device for my pc so I can even connect it to my Acer (when it arrives) otherwise I'll be stuck copying things over on USB keys). I'll only be installing Linux distros which I've read work on my Acer, including Wifi. It seems that with Linpus, onelinux and an ubuntu one I read about yesterday it's probably enough to be getting on with!

Cheers.

Poldie, Sep 18, 2008
  13. Poldie

scottro

Ok, I'm not sure about the stop it from spinning question--I imagine it can be done, but have no idea how--it's never really been an issue for me as I don't use laptops too often.

The swap thing I was discussing--don't even worry about it at this point. The point that I should have made (and stopped afterwards) was that you can install a few different distributions that will share a single swap partition.

If you have a gig of RAM, depending upon your use of the machine, there's a good chance you'll never need swap, but with a 120 gig drive, I'd put in a gig for it anyway.

As for size, well, if you're using things just designed for the AA1, yes, they should all be pretty small. If you start experimenting a bit more, you'll find that some distributions can take up a lot of space before you realize it. However, as your plan is to stick with proven working ones, you should probably be alright as far as that goes.

Linpus and onelinux will do the wifi without issue. Ubuntu's Hardy will require some rather trivial things on your part. (I know you're not experienced with Linux, but really, the things you will have to do are relatively trivial, typing a few simple commands with many web tutorials around, including my own modest effort.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy it. The Linpus version is designed to make the transition easy for Windows users. The Ubuntu versions also work at showing people how easy Linux can be to use.

So, I think you'll be fine with it.

scottro, Sep 19, 2008
  14. Poldie

Poldie

Just went to that site and there's nothing to download!

Poldie, Sep 19, 2008
  15. Poldie

scottro

Well, that could make things difficult. I imagine they're working on an updated version that they'll be putting up soon. I hope so. (I just looked and you're quite correct, there's just a README saying nothing's avaialable.

As for Ubuntu itself, there's
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

with some step by step instructions.

scottro, Sep 19, 2008
  16. Poldie

hasfrochbuster

hasfrochbuster, Sep 19, 2008
Ask a Question