Can linux version watch avi format video?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lucky082323, Sep 20, 2008.

1. lucky082323

Grim Squeaker

Everything it says above it ;) ? The system needs to be made aware of RPM fusion before it can get files from it.

Grim Squeaker, Dec 1, 2008
  2. lucky082323

drewdoog

Thanks very much grim. Installing vlc worked.

drewdoog, Dec 5, 2008
  3. lucky082323

Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker, Dec 5, 2008
  4. lucky082323

librarian16

I tried this, but ended up with a list of about a dozen missing dependencies.
    :cry:

librarian16, Dec 8, 2008
  5. lucky082323

dibee

I'm also trying to get software (including a newer version of mplayer) to work so I can watch movies and getting heaps of dependency errors. I really don't know what else to do. It's compounded by not having broadband internet at home so I have to go out to a hotspot before I can try anything new.

Here is the error message I get when I try to install mplayer:

Missing Dependency: libpulse.so.0(PULSE_0) is needed by package mplayer
    Missing Dependency: libdvdnavmini.so.4 is needed by package mplayer

And here is another error message I got when I tried to install gnomebaker:

file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.1-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched
    file /usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory from install of gnome-menus-2.20.1-1.fc8 conflicts with file from package xfdesktop-acer-lp-1652.mcs_patched

Any clues on how to fix this would be appreciated. I can't seem to update any software because of dependency problems. I'm not stupid but my bad case of newbieitis is getting me down.

Thanks.

dibee, Dec 10, 2008
  6. lucky082323

Grim Squeaker

Which steps did you perform ? Did you start at the update fedora-release and adding of livna ?

Grim Squeaker, Dec 10, 2008
  7. lucky082323

librarian16

I have now downloaded vlc and got it to work. I have, though, got a new problem.

There is a website http://www.wetinred.com which has video clips in various formats including avi and mpeg. Before I had vlc I could look at any of the clips which MediaMaster could show but, of course, not the avi ones. It is a pay site which needs a username and password for most of the clips, but has two free avi samples. Now, I can look at the free samples, but *any* of the other clips just gives me "video is loading..." until I tell it to stop. As I can get to the clips using another machine which can't play but can save video clips I can see them on the AspireOne but it seems that whatever mechanism tests my entitlement is being prevented by the new system.

Has anyone any ideas?

librarian16, Dec 13, 2008
  8. lucky082323

the4ts

Hi! I got my AAO this morning and have spent most of the day trying to (a) install Firefox 3 and b)) to get avi and divx files to play with picture but with no success. Am a total Linux newbie but am beginning to pick up a few things. I've followed all the steps here, and elsewhere, with the exception of turning off compositing as I have no idea how to do that! Is anyone able to advise to see if that will help solve my problem? Have installed the older version of VLC, updated mplayer, installed splayer, downloaded a codecs update (but have been unable to transfer these to /usr/lib/codecs/ as am getting a permission denied message.

Anyone any ideas? Apologies if I have left out any vital information! Have been around computers since the early 80s but Linux is utterly new to me!

Many thanks :)

the4ts, Dec 20, 2008
  9. lucky082323

paramo

Thanks grim squeaker, i ran the first three commands from the site and VLC now works ok with AVI and FLV. One of the command took about 10 minutes to run and asked a few y/n questions which i answered 'y'. Great I can now download AVI and FLV videos and watch them!

So many vidoes are in AVI , without a player it's very restrictive.....I'd previously run the first rpm about 2 weeks ago (from a different site) and had VLC but it didn't do much.....so hooraaay it's finally there!

paramo, Dec 21, 2008
  10. lucky082323

Aspiration

the problem with the default player is that it plays some .avi files. I have not been able to export a video file from a different file format as an .avi and get it to work properly. I did export one file in a non compressed format and it played the video upside down! There are probably hundreds of different versions of .avi and no information on exactly which version works on the aspire one (which exact codec is used) so it is impossible to tell how to properly convert files to this particular .avi format. My camera records a particular version of avi (it won't tell me which version/format/settings of an .avi format (other than it saves as either 640x480 or 320x240 resolution) and exactly what settings are required) that works.

The webcam update now uses an mpeg1 format. I don't have anything that does that old an mpg format. Almost all current formats use mp4 format so there's nothing I've been able to find which converts the file to the peculiar avi or mpeg formats used on this computer even though it will play that weird format. If anyone knows how to convert to whatever format acer uses... let everyone else know.

Aspiration, Apr 11, 2009
  11. lucky082323

daldred

The linux utiliy mencoder will convert betwen mpeg formats.

daldred, Apr 12, 2009
  12. lucky082323

steven1314

Hi I downloaded VLC and extracted file but I cannot see any of my films that are held on my Sandisk Pendrive. I can hear sound but no picture. Can anyone help. Is there anything I need to do to any settings etc

Many thanks

Steven

steven1314, Jul 16, 2009
Ask a Question