Can the trackpad be configured for a left-hander?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sctb, Oct 7, 2008.

1. sctb

sctb

I nearly bought an Aspire One online but thought I should try it in a shop first. Turned out that the trackpad with the buttons either side is practically unusable for a left-hander unless the functions of the left and right buttons can be switched round.

I've searched this forum and others and it appears that there is something called 'Synaptics' that lets you configure the machine for left-handed use. However, these posts don't give simple guidance for a new user to follow.

Can anyone please answer for me:

1: Can the Aspire One be set up so that the right trackpad button is 'single click' rather than 'double click'? (this is what will avoid 'crossing hands' as a left hander).

2: If so, is it 'Synaptics' that lets you do this?

3: Is 'Synaptics' set up via a control console on screen, or does it require changing code etc, i.e. something that a novice user cannot do or might screw the machine up doing?

Also - any left-handers out there using the machine who can recommend whether the Aspire One is properly usable for them, please speak up!

Thanks

sctb, Oct 7, 2008
  2. sctb

woogal

The buttons can be swapped but I've never tried it (I'm left handed but use a mouse and touchpad with my right hand). The buttons aren't that great though and many people just use the touchpad itself for clicks (the bottom right area acts as a right click, and the top right is middle).

woogal, Oct 7, 2008
  3. sctb

cpchan

Which OS do you have? If you are on Linux, I can help you. I don't have a Windows version.

cpchan, Oct 7, 2008
  4. sctb

sdousley

I must admit, being a left hander myself, that i do find that when "left clicking" with the button that i do put my right index finger onto the pad as i cross my hands. My usual way round this is to just tap the pad to click, or move my left finger off the pad and double click the button with my left index finger.

Though knowing a way to easily swap the buttons on the mouse would be something that i'd be interested in, so i will have a look tonight i think :)

That said, this is the only "issue" with "usage" that i have come across that is due to being left hander. So I have just adapted my own way to avoid this issue happening. (Though i do sometimes find myself crossing hands again, so a "proper" solution may be better).

I will update the thread when i have investigated/solved the mouse button swapping

sdousley, Oct 7, 2008
  5. sctb

sdousley

OK, i have a solution for you. If you have the Advanced Menu option activated, you can right click the desktop, and choose "Settings" then "Mouse Settings". You can set this to "Leeft Handed" from there.

sdousley, Oct 7, 2008
  6. sctb

sctb

Are you using the Linux version, i.e., is the "Advanced Menu option" in Linux rather than Windows?

Also, is that fix just for if you are using a mouse plugged in, or does it actually change the trackpad buttons round? I think that if I am to buy one, I would primarily want to use it 'on the move', and if I was to buy a mouse it would defeat the object slightly.

Thanks for your help!

sctb, Oct 7, 2008
  7. sctb

sdousley

Yes, this is the linux version, not the windows version.

It was under "Mouse Settings" which would suggest to me it's the Trackpad and external mouse. Though i dont have a spare external to test with at the moment. I can test tomorrow when i get home though :)

As for wether it switches the buttons... yes, it does :)

sdousley, Oct 7, 2008
  8. sctb

sctb

thanks for that - v.helpful. Might have a go at doing it in PC World first! :D

sctb, Oct 8, 2008
  9. sctb

sdousley

hehe sounds like a plan.

One thing i have noticed since posting my answer is that when you tap the pad in "Left Handed mode" it right clicks instead of left click. So it's either have it swapped and dont tap the pad, or have it normal and struggle with crossing fingers, or take a little time by either using your right finger, or using left index to click on the mouse button. hehe

sdousley, Oct 8, 2008
  10. sctb

sctb

Thanks - will check that out. Just to be clear - the ""Advanced Menu option" is a desktop setting on the Linux operating system, a bit like the Control Panel in Windows?

sctb, Oct 8, 2008
  11. sctb

sdousley

Hi

Yes, this is on the Linux Aspire One.

The "Advanced Menu" is simply a right click programs menu, that, by default is disabled. However, there are plenty of posts on here on how to activate it. I have enabled it as i have also got rid of the "Trust Tomy" (as a colleague calls it) default interface, so i have a standard XFCE (the window manager that Acer chose) desktop.

sdousley, Oct 8, 2008
  12. sctb

sctb

That's great, thanks. I've just had a look at how to do this on some Youtube videos, and it looks pretty straightforward. There is hardly any comment elsewhere on problems for left-handers, so it can't be a big deal for people.

Cheers for the help.

sctb, Oct 8, 2008
  13. sctb

sdousley

Either that, or like i would have been (had i not seen this thread) I put the oddity down to being left handed and learn to live with it!

No problems :)

sdousley, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question