Can you install OSX on 8 gig Linpus AA1?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Hyperjoe, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Hyperjoe

kakue

Don't do it with 10.5

Hi,

I have an Aspire One 110L with the original 8GB SSD and 1.5GB RAM.
    I installed Mac OS 10.5.2 via Boot132 and I do not recommend it:

- the SSD ist damn slow!
    - Less than 800MB of free disk space; even without any printer drivers, no "additional [chinese] fonts" and no X11 and only with one additional language

Unix Systems need far more than 1 Gig of free space for running stable.
    Macwelt (the sibbling to Macworld as you might have guessed) recommends to leave 5 GB of free space on the startup-volume for 10.5.

I know that 10.4 (Tiger) is not as demmanding as 10.5 (Leopard) but I wasn't able to test it, due to the lack of a vanilla installation DVD.
    If you intend to try 10.4 by yourelf: please be aware of the fact that you need a later version suitable for intel Macs.
    By the time it was introduced to the public Tiger only ran on G3, G4 or G5 systems.

What did I do?
    I bought an acer aspire one 150 with 1.6 GB HD, 1 GB of RAM and Windows XP (the latter is of no use, as no CD/DVD is included) and installed 10.5.2 on that machine.
    And, I have to tell you: by the help of Boot-132, the OP and everyone in this forum it works perfectly!!

Instead of opening the case (as I did with the 110L) I use an external USB-stick for WIFI connection. It's cheaper and more flexible.
    1 GB of RAM is (by far) not ample, but it definitely is enough. 10.5 itself starts on any Mac having 512 MB of RAM, I tried this with my mac mini in early 2008. Therefore, I think, you can live with this limitation. As any original MacBook doesn't have any card reader, I can live with the fact, that both aren't working at the moment.
    Maybe, in the near future, someone will fix this.

All in all, I would encourage you to try MacOS 10.5 on any Aspire ONe with HD.

kakue, Nov 21, 2008
  2. Hyperjoe

2manydjs

2manydjs, Nov 24, 2008
  3. Hyperjoe

number42bus

Have been running OSX 10.5.5 on aspire one for 1 week on 8gig SSD - was ok - but slow

Have just installed 30gb 1.8inch HD - the speed difference is amazing

Boots quicker than my iMac!

number42bus, Nov 24, 2008
Ask a Question