Can you ping your Aspire One?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by luisferfranco, May 19, 2009.

1. luisferfranco

luisferfranco

I have an Aspire One, not sure which model is, but config is Atom 270, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, 8.5", it came with Windows XP

I'm a heavy OneNote user, I use the AspireOne both at home and at work, so I need to configure OneNote in order to work within a domain and outside a domain, so I tought that the AspireOne could be the "server", I placed my OneNote notebooks on the Aspire One, and to my surprise no other computer would connect to the AspireOne.

It was a surprise because Internet works perfectly both wiressly and wired, but I can't connect to the AspireOne. I could see shared resources like printers (if at work), and shared folders in my home computer, but I'm not able to see shared folders in the AspireOne.

So I ping and received no response, no matter what kind of network I'm in, wireless, wired... so I blame on Microsoft (they are always the one to blame, right?) but two other coleagues at works who own AspireOnes had the very same issue.

Today I installed Windows 7 which works perfectly and hoped the problem would fix... but nah... it stays the same. I can use the network from the AspireOne, but I can't connect TO the AspireOne.

Any idea?

luisferfranco, May 19, 2009
  2. luisferfranco

dattaway

You have to run "servers" that will answer the network connections. With no port assigned to connect, the operating system sends a NAK (denied) back.

dattaway, May 19, 2009
  3. luisferfranco

ronime

Have you checked that "File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" is enabled in the network settings on your Aspire One?

ronime, May 19, 2009
  4. luisferfranco

luisferfranco

Uhmmm... which server does a PING requires? Isn't it in the most basic TCP/IP services? Doesn't Windows 7 (or anyother OS) install the TCP/IP servers by default?

Thanks.

5. luisferfranco

luisferfranco

Yes, now it works.

Thank you very much!

6. luisferfranco

ronime

You're welcome. Enjoy!

ronime, May 19, 2009
Ask a Question