Cannot boot from Recovery USB

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by victor, Aug 9, 2008.

1. victor

victor

Hi,

I bought a 1GB USB drive today (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19911&vpn=PSF1GUSB&manufacture=Patriot) and try to create a recovery USB disk.

I put in the Recovery DVD and create the recovery USB drive, follow the instructions.

but when I try to boot from USB in BIOS (F12) it does not work, it showed BB BB BB BB........etc. Then it boot from my SSD again.

I tried this a few times, and it still does not work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

victor, Aug 9, 2008
  2. victor

Beldar

Not all USB sticks are compatible. Buy another one or just use a 2 GB SD-card and SD-card reader.

Beldar, Aug 9, 2008
  3. victor

ad_chan_id

I also got the same thing, so I repeat steps to create the USB.
    At least it was works.
    It was only use about 100mb of your Flash drive to be recovery USB.
    Btw, I tried about 3 times instalation to get sucessfull.

:lol: he..he..... chayo.....

ad_chan_id, Aug 9, 2008
  4. victor

victor

Thank you

I will try again.

victor, Aug 9, 2008
  5. victor

Sid

When using an SD card has anyone had any boot failures?

I am bored of buying 2gig flash drives.

Sid, Aug 9, 2008
  6. victor

lawnsea

I have the same problem. I booted gOS space's live disk from the thumbdrive I'm using, so that much works, at least. I'm currently recreating the recovery drive. Let's hope it works this time.

UPDATE: No joy on 3 tries. I'm going to try a different thumbdrive.

UPDATE 2: Ok, so I was curious and tried it on a 128MB thumbdrive. The progress bar for the recovery drive creation utility only reached ~11%, but it still congratulated me on successfully creating my recovery drive. I booted from the supposed recovery drive and got the same results as before. So, you can't trust that utility.

I'm guessing that my first drive, which had a capacity of 984MB, was just slightly too small for the recovery drive to fit on. I guess I'm gonna need a bigger boat.

lawnsea, Aug 16, 2008
  7. victor

Sid

Sid, Aug 16, 2008
  8. victor

lawnsea

I tried a different DVD-ROM drive and created another recovery drive using my larger thumbdrive. Still no luck. I've got an 8GB td on the way from woot. When that get's here, I'll try it. Until then, I'm gonna mess around with installing Arch: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acer_Aspire_One.

lawnsea, Aug 16, 2008
  9. victor

lawnsea

Ok, it's hours and hours later. I still have no idea what the problem is, but I can consistently boot using a thumbdrive created using this guy's procedure:
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/03/13/usb-gos-install-from-windows/

This boots to gOS every time. I tried to replace the gOS files with the recovery DVD ones, but couldn't get everything connected together in a way that works. It boots to the Linpus boot options screen, but always fails at the same point: kernel panic due to vfs failing. VFS says that I need to supply a root= boot parameter. I tried root=hdc and root=hdc1. Neither did the trick.

I'm giving up. I'm just going to buy an external dvd drive tomorrow.

UPDATE: I got a Sony slimline external dvd drive and recovered off of the dvd. Note that I first bought an LG one that was powered by USB, but couldn't get the A1 to boot from it.

lawnsea, Aug 16, 2008
  10. victor

karona

I ended up using a harddrive from a dead laptop in an external usb powered housing, couldn't get any pendrives to work, and an sd card in a usb reader hung every time I clicked 'next' from the recovery boot screen. The harddrive boot also hung at the same point, until I realised that 'tapping' the touchpad hangs the process, but left-clicking with the button worked perfectly!!!.

Keith

karona, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question