Cannot hear BBC streaming radio - realplayer/mplayer problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Mr Skills, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Mr Skills

Rofa

The BBC thing has been covered a couple of times. The BBC Player looks for Real Player. You may get problems when you try to run the Player unless you set the transport preferences in Real to http only.

Rofa, Dec 18, 2008
  2. Mr Skills

Rofa

And - adding to my last post above - you will get problems if you upgrade to Firefox 3.05 - if you really want to keep life simple stay with an earlier version. Mind you 3.1 beta worked fine for me as far as BBC was concerned - it just crashed a little too often for me to stick with it!

Rofa, Jan 12, 2009
  3. Mr Skills

Mr Skills

Thanks so much for your help everyone! We managed to get realplayer working fine, so he can listen to BBC radio (albeit with the graphics a bit screwed on the transport controls, but that's not a big deal). Sorry it took so long to let you know it worked.

Now the only problem is getting Picasa to import from his Canon Ixus camera (it recognises what it is but doesn't give the option to import) - but maybe I'll make a new thread for that when I've got a minute.

Mr Skills, Jan 12, 2009
  4. Mr Skills

Rofa

And - adding to my last post above - you will get problems if you upgrade to Firefox 3.05 - if you really want to keep life simple stay with an earlier version. Mind you 3.1 beta worked fine for me as far as BBC was concerned - it just crashed a little too often for me to stick with it![/quote]

And finally - assuming anyone is still following this , -Firefox 3.1 b2 seems to be working fine, So if you want it pop over to the macles site http://macles.blogspot.com/ if you have not been there before you should have been. Go back through all the posts - there are a lot of gems tucked away.

Rofa, Jan 14, 2009
  5. Mr Skills

stephen.wren

Thanks for the advice here - I was a bit disappointed as BBC radio is one of our favourite things.

Rather bizarrely, having installed realplayer the radio works in a pop out player, also works for a live stream - but not if I play a show that has been broadcast direct from first window that comes up. Nothing that can't be overcome using the pop out player, just a little annoying/a challenge to work out what is wrong with my setup. Any ideas?

stephen.wren, Jan 21, 2009
  6. Mr Skills

stephen.wren

Hmm, just seemed to work on one tab but not another - I conclude that it is mainly a bit tempemental!

stephen.wren, Jan 21, 2009
  7. Mr Skills

derek

Can any of the past contributors help out, it may be that some of the info needs updating.

The other night tried the Iplayer out after stumbling across this thread. Yes the TV works fine-Live and catch up progs.
    Radio catch up worked but no, not the live streaming of radio.
    Read all the threads, got a bit muddled , added helix, deleted helix, noted Rustbolts entry and went ahead and downloaded Realplayer- its version 11.0.1.1056-20081001.i586 as in pirut. Noted its not listed in the advance menu under media??? though
    yes it worked-streaming radio.
    Tried it again today and its not working????
    Checked the plug ins in FF2- RP9 mplayerplug-in-rm.so listed
    On FF- edit /preferences/content/file types/manage i have only
    flv and au bothe open with mpalyer
    Other threads talk about edit/pref/applications but thats on FF3 on my PC not on the aal FF2.

Anyone out there can check if my settings are correct or throw any light on it. It just would be cool to get this to work and have the aa1 act as a radio.

derek, Apr 17, 2009
  8. Mr Skills

derek

Just been persevering surfing through other forums, real etal websites and stumbled upon that Helix package and the Real are closely connected.
    Just then tried - advanced menu, add progs to open pirut. Search for helix. Found of the 3 available a helix plug in for the browser. Installed that, reboot and into Iplayer- yes,,,,,,,,,,, it works.
    the player still has a slight graphics problem with the buttons just visible over a grey bar but you can still stop and play.
    Oh well , hopefully it will still work tomorrow.
    Its a hobby and fills the hours.

derek, Apr 17, 2009
  9. Mr Skills

me075064

me075064, Apr 24, 2009
Ask a Question