Cannot install VLC - Repository problems..

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by champagj, Aug 20, 2008.

1. champagj

champagj

I have tried many time to install to no avail: either vis the terminal using yum or the install app on the browser.

I'm new to Linux and I first tried to install while the mirrors were down. I started to "play" with the repositories list in the "add/remove software utility" and deleted one by mistake. Btw, no confirmation box, just went and I dont know which one I killed.

The errors looks like this via the terminal:

Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3) is needed by package libpurple
    Error: Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 is needed by package ame
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package ame
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package libpurple
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 is needed by package acerim
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3) is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package acerim

Can someone help? ;)

JF

champagj, Aug 20, 2008
  2. champagj

rebuilder

Can you open a terminal and do an "ls /etc/yum.repos.d/" (without quotes)? This is, as far as I can tell, where the repository info is stored. Mine has the following files:
    fedora-development.repo
    fedora.repo
    fedora-updates.repo
    fedora-updates-testing.repo
    livna-devel.repo
    livna.repo
    livna-testing.repo

If one of these is missing on your install, I'd say that's the repository you're missing. If so, post here and I'll paste the contents of the relevant file.

rebuilder, Aug 20, 2008
  3. champagj

champagj

Big thanks for the help. Much appreciated. I usually get myself around with enough ate nights and google but...

I'm missing the fedora.repo

I have tried to figure out how to downloads / add repos but I could use a little more help once again...

Thanks, :D

JF

champagj, Aug 20, 2008
  4. champagj

rebuilder

Ok, to follow are the contents of fedora.repo, create it by running "sudo mousepad /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo" and paste this into the file, saving afterwards:

Code:
    [fedora]
    name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch
    failovermethod=priority
    #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/
    mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-debuginfo]
    name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Debug
    failovermethod=priority
    #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/debug/
    mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-debug-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=0
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[fedora-source]
    name=Fedora $releasever - Source
    failovermethod=priority
    #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/source/SRPMS/
    mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-source-$releasever&arch=$basearch
    enabled=0
    gpgcheck=1

I'm not actually sure how the security key business is handled in this case, hopefully it'll just ask you to accept their gpg key again.

rebuilder, Aug 20, 2008
  5. champagj

champagj

Well..

The repo is back in. No questions asked for the key. just took it.

as a side note, I first used the "copy all" link in your post to paste into the mousepad. It did add leading spaces which threw off the system. I had to go back into the file and re-cut-paste the whole thing.

I can see the repo from the "ls" command and the add/remove util.

HOWEVER.. yum install vlc does give me the exact same errors...

I also tried the whole, restart, re-try and also with the add/remove util..

no-go... :cry:

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.. JF

champagj, Aug 20, 2008
  6. champagj

rebuilder

Hm. You could try running 'yum clean all' and 'yum update' to make sure yum has up-to-date info from your repo lists. I doubt it'll help, though, since I think Add/Remove Programs checks those automatically and you weren't able to install anyway.

Apart from that, I don't know. Since you have the livna repositories, I guess you were installing vlc as recommended on their website. I installed mine following the instructions for Fedora 8 and had no problems. What version did you pick?

rebuilder, Aug 20, 2008
  7. champagj

champagj

Yes, I did use Fedora8. I do recall there was an error msg when I did but it did download ok.

I tried to "re-install" livna but it said it was already installed. Could I remove it and re-install?

U are correct about the update. Each time I run the add/remove it starts by looking at updaded soft.

I have tried the clean command but I get this:

[root@localhost ~]# yum clean all
    Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 3668.
    Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

any idea?

champagj, Aug 20, 2008
  8. champagj

rebuilder

That yum error is because you have some other package manager, probably the add/remove programs app running. Close it and try again. Alternatively yum itself is hanging somehow, you could try a "sudo kill 3668", since that's the process id given. If it's a package manager that happens to be doing something though, it's probably not a good idea to forcibly kill it.

rebuilder, Aug 20, 2008
  9. champagj

champagj

got the yum update to work.

Interestingly enough, the same kind of errors occurs: I get quite a few dependencies errors at the end of the update. Almost as if I did not have all the stuff..

Newbie question: If the repositories are basically web hosted file cabinets, the RPM's are files you download locally? Or are they a collection of repos?
    :?:

champagj, Aug 20, 2008
  10. champagj

rebuilder

I should have mentioned you'll get dependency errors running yum update. I'm not entirely sure, but I think this is because the version of Linpus Linux that comes with the One has a number of packages that are customized by Acer from the versions you would get from the Fedora repositories. I read somewhere that people have managed to install the packages with missing dependencies, but ended up overwriting some Acer packages, which resulted in all kinds of trouble with the OS. It seems that for general updating of packages the live update GUI tool is the thing to use.

As for the .rpm question, as far as I know, it's just a method of packaging software. It seems the Videolan folks used it to deliver .repo files.

Anyway, I take it you still didn't get vlc installed?

rebuilder, Aug 21, 2008
  11. champagj

rebuilder

I looked into the dependency errors a bit - I think the package that should provide libgnutls would be gnutls. What happens if you do yum install gnutls ?

rebuilder, Aug 21, 2008
  12. champagj

champagj

I had looked into which rpm would have the missing dependancy file and had already downloaded and "run" the rpm which contains the files.

When I do the yum install it tells me it is already installed and run through the dependancies check again.

This time I noticed something where the "checks" are run at least twice with an error message: (sorry it's long)

--> Running transaction check
    ---> Package usermode-gtk.i386 0:1.98-1.fc10 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 for package: acerim
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 for package: ame
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 for package: libpurple
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3) for package: libpurple
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 for package: acerim
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 for package: ame
    --> Processing Conflict: pam conflicts db4 >= 4.7.0
    --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
    ---> Package pam.i386 0:1.0.1-5.fc10 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 for package: acerim
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 for package: ame
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 for package: libpurple
    --> Processing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3) for package: libpurple
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 for package: acerim
    --> Processing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 for package: ame
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13(GNUTLS_1_3) is needed by package libpurple
    Error: Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 is needed by package ame
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package ame
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package libpurple
    Error: Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.9 is needed by package acerim
    Error: Missing Dependency: libgnutls.so.13 is needed by package acerim

- Could it be a problem with the following:

Processing Conflict: pam conflicts db4 >= 4.7.0
    --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
    ---> Package pam.i386 0:1.0.1-5.fc10 set to be updated

As you indicated I may have had overwritten some acer files and now I'm a little stuck.

Ever "re-loaded" your "one" with the rescue cd? Any benefits to anybody if I keep "plugging along" to try to make this work? :?

champagj, Aug 21, 2008
  13. champagj

rebuilder

Well, I'm out of ideas for now. And yes, I did re-install from the recovery disc once, I had it create an installer on a USB drive I had handy, worked fine. Apparently it doesn't work with all sticks, though. Afterwards, the OS is just like it was when you first booted the One up. I'm thinking next time I start to do any extensive fiddling with the system, I'll find a way to clone the whole system into a disk image or something as a backup, so I don't have to roll back to the default setup.

Good luck!

rebuilder, Aug 21, 2008
  14. champagj

champagj

Thank you for all your good advice.

I went ahead and got myself ready for a reload. But before proceeding I decided to be a little more "forceful" since there was nothing to lose..

Repositories in the add/remove util is a long list. If you click too many "on" it does create problem. (And I though I was missing some..)

Went into the add/remove Un-clicked a bunch, search for vlc, and click. The util actually downloaded whatever it could not find and Bingo!

Lesson learned: There is no actual list of "default" repos that should be selected, but more important, which ones should not..

From what I can see, the one's who did the trick were "Fedora - Development". Make sure they are un-checked!

Thanks again, :mrgreen:

champagj, Aug 21, 2008
Ask a Question