Can't BIOS update

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by s11, Jan 4, 2009.

1. s11

s11

I've followed the steps to update to BIOS 3309... Macles and other blogs that I've come acrossed.

When using Unetbooting I get an error on the 3rd step when downloading(the step before reboot)???

I reboot F12 and do not have OPTION 5 (just 1 and 2). Tried this 6 times and I downloaded the file from Macles and Acer site with no luck. I'm using an MP3 player as USB stick??? Could this be part of my problem, the Unebooting seems to recognise the drive.

I realise the instructions are very clear, but maybe someone as come across this and know's how to adress it. I researched FAT32 files but I'm not very computer savy, as you can probably tell by now!

Thanks for any help,
    S.

s11, Jan 4, 2009
  2. s11

AceAspire

Post the specs (such as brand, size, etc.) of the MP3 player you are using as a USB stick. Also it can help to post the specs of your AAO and what operating system you are using. I am assuming you are using XP.

Your post also doesn't make total sense. It is a big help to post a list of what you did exactly, such as:
    1. Made a FreeDOS bootable USB stick using UNetBootin
    2. Downloaded BIOS 3309 to USB stick
    3. Rebooted F12 to boot screen
    4. Booted off USB stick
    5. Such and such screen came up, ran into such and such problem, etc.

It could very well be that your MP3 player is not formatted as FAT32. Try finding out what your MP3 player is formatted as. Either look up its specs on line or try checking its properties. Best bet is just to buy a cheap USB stick or borrow one from a friend.

AceAspire, Jan 6, 2009
  3. s11

s11

Acer One 160g windows XP.

Purchased a USB stick, formated to boot with Uninboot, I can now get to the screen(after the option 5 boot from USB) were I get some sort of DOS command A:/. I try to change it to B:/ or C:/ but it asks me to change the cd to that drive??? I then tried to look at the directory but can't seem to access it, I'm using DIR. I also tried A:/3009.bat. Nothing worked Should I just leave it at Version 3005? I'm following the instructions(I Think) but after trying it a couple of times I'm scared to screw something up...

s11, Jan 17, 2009
  4. s11

s11

Tried again...

I'm stuck trying to extract the files from the USB drive. Keep getting invalid command, the files are there!

Arghhhhhhhhhh

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

s11, Jan 17, 2009
  5. s11

s11

Done!

Figured it out...

The USB drive i purchased came with some encryption software on it, after I got rid of that it was smooth sailing!

Ciao.

s11, Jan 17, 2009
Ask a Question