Can't connect to open networks

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rebecka_o, Apr 26, 2009.

1. rebecka_o

rebecka_o

I'm completely new with Linux. The problem I have is with open networks. I connect just fine to encrypted networks but when it comes to open networks nothing happens. It tries to connect and it always ends up with it saying "Disconnected" (in Swedish, don't know what it would say in the English version). I've been back to the store where i bought my aa1 and they can't help me, they say I have to leave it for service for 8 weeks... no way. I really hope somebody can help me...?

rebecka_o, Apr 26, 2009
  2. rebecka_o

barrie

Hi rebecka_o,

If you mean pubic free ones like university's or hotels etc, then I do not understand why you have this issue if encrypted private ones are OK, possibly it is a software setting problem but cant see what. I have no issues when on the move hotels, restaurants etc. But do make sure any relevant updates for your Acer have been done.
    When you get the disconnected message, open the connection manager is the network you are trying to gain access to is listed?

barrie, Apr 26, 2009
  3. rebecka_o

rebecka_o

Hi barrie,

yes I mean public free ones. I´ve been travelling and can´t get it to work anywhere. At home I use encrypted network and it works fine. When I went back to the store he could connect to their network, which was encrypted, but when he tried the public ones he couldn´t get it to work either. It´s updated and the network is listed every time I check... very strange.

rebecka_o, Apr 26, 2009
  4. rebecka_o

melhiore

What is the type of IP assignment in your home network: DHCP or Static?? Public networks are DHCP rather then Static so you may have the problem with this...

melhiore, Apr 26, 2009
  5. rebecka_o

rebecka_o

I normally use static assignment on all my computers at home, but the aa1 unfortunately wasn´t set to static. The settings are DHCP. I changed it to static and it works fine either way. I can´t connect to my neighbour´s public network though...

rebecka_o, Apr 26, 2009
  6. rebecka_o

melhiore

It happens when IP of your machine is the same like one already in use or IP is from "restricted" range (IPs you can not use)...

melhiore, Apr 26, 2009
  7. rebecka_o

rebecka_o

But the IP assignment on my neighbours network, and other public networks I´ve been trying to connect to, isn´t static. It´s DHCP. As you know you can set each connection individually. And now the setting for my home network is static, but on all others it´s DHCP.

rebecka_o, Apr 26, 2009
Ask a Question