Can't get into Windows

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Shiniquiet, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Shiniquiet

Shiniquiet

Ok, here's the thing. My daughger's Acer 150 had a bunch of corrupt files - probably the result of stuff she had downloaded. However, the machine was able to boot and Windows XP functioned although it limped a bit. I tried a factory restore but it gagged before it finished. Apparently, it had corrupt files as well. I started messing around to get things straightened out but, of course, made it worse. What I'm being told now by the machine is that Windows can't load due to a problem with hal.dll file. I'm supposed to re-install it. Using an Ubuntu thing called Easy Peasy on a flash drive I can get the machine to boot but I can't find the Windows directory (Windows/system32) to re-intall the hal.hll thing. Part of this saga also includes a missing NTLDR file. In trying to fix that I discoved a method on the web that was suppoed to work. The emphasis is on "supposed." It didn't work for me. Without the flash drive the machine boots to a screen that asks me to select one of 10 different choices which was supposed to remedy the missing NTLDR. Selecting one leads me to the corrupt hal.dll notification. I'd really like to fix this thing but I've spent way too much time already trying to figure it out on my own. I'm open to suggestions. HELP!!
    x

Shiniquiet, Jan 7, 2011
Ask a Question