Can't get Live Update history - filename problem?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by grahamt, May 9, 2009.

1. grahamt

grahamt

In the last few weeks (probably following a Live Update) I can't get access to my Live Update history. When I try I just get the unhelpful message: "Internal error: the updates list cannot be retrieved." and then my only option is to close Live Update. (Checking for new updates still works, though.)

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Is there a file somewhere that contains the list but that might have been corrupted or had its name changed?

I do have a plain text file with a null filename in the home directory (appears in File Manager as three questionmarks surrounded by diamonds but is listed as ((null)) when it's opened). This file has a list of programs in it, one per line. It's listed as modified today and contains the following:

acs0123.sh
    thunar.sh
    huawei081126.sh
    cups.sh
    q101_090214.sh
    online-updater090120.sh
    ucview090214.sh
    gnome-media090214.sh
    kernel090214.sh
    NM_option0025v3.sh

This list is repeated four times. Could this be the Live Update history file? But if so why are the filenames repeated?

Graham

grahamt, May 9, 2009
  2. grahamt

mw21410

I have got the same problem: "internal error" when prompting history, inasmuche, I can't find any new file to load, live update does not work.

I had installed firefox 3 upgrade which work well, and I loaded some new recent files that I don't remember, but they were considered as good for the system.

I think that I did not extract, only loaded. Anything goes well, wifi and else.
    I don't kinow how to do with terminal to load adain, or to delete.

mw21410, May 14, 2009
  3. grahamt

mw21410

perhaps shoul I go and see what's goin on with the list of programs.

mw21410, May 14, 2009
  4. grahamt

mw21410

mw21410, May 14, 2009
  5. grahamt

mw21410

hello,
    somebody to help graham and I for live update internal error?
    I tried every things, helps of "Macles" and Antharius, and no possibility to update.
    I have firefox installed, must I begin to use terminal ? With what as command line?
    As you see, I don"t dare to doanything which could be worst than now.

..And I understand nothing to yum sudo etc..though I am able to paste them into terminal.

Hope!!!!

mw21410, May 15, 2009
  6. grahamt

kgp

Hello
    Try running onlineupdate from a command line:
    user@localhost ~]$ sudo onlineupdate
    on my computer it said:
    /var/lib/online-updater/updates_info/acs_ame_20090427.sh.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty
    I downloaded acs_ame_20090427.sh.xml from
    http://linpuscdn.040services.net/cdn/AC ... ne/v1.0.13
    and moved it:
    sudo mv /home/user/Downloads/acs_ame_20090427.sh.xml /var/lib/online-updater/updates_info/
    now it said that a file was missing so I created it:
    sudo echo 2009-04-27 > /var/lib/online-updater/install_date/acs_ame_20090427.sh
    I don't know if this is the right way to solve the problem or if it breaks something else,
    but I can see history again.

kgp, May 15, 2009
  7. grahamt

mw21410

Thanks fgp, I'll try it. I just realize that I did not use the good mean to paste into terminal from the help of macles in case of change of changing location of server.
    which is "Ctrl+Shift+V", and not simply paste or ctrl+c.
    I saw the adress you gave me, but I wonder if I'have got the 180024 patch required (macles) for update.
    Anyhow, I had firefox upgrade to FF3 by using acer load on .sh- Perhaps is it the reason why update does not longer work.
    Macles says that there is a process to upgrade which allow to keep all function becaus of the fact that ff2 is tightly interwoven whis linpus in Acer

Can you tell me if I may retrieve Firefox 2, or fond the 180024 patch which I see nowhere?
    Regards

mw21410, May 17, 2009
  8. grahamt

mw21410

Sorry I Wanted to say KGP, mistake!!

mw21410, May 17, 2009
  9. grahamt

mw21410

I will try soon your proposal which I hope will work on my AAO; tHANKS A LOT ANYHOW

mw21410, May 17, 2009
  10. grahamt

mw21410

Hello,
    here is what I found when using "sudo onlineupdate":
    udo onlineupdate
    Open the configure file onlineupdate.conf successfully
    str1[0] = #Protocol ,str[0] =
    str1[1] = Protocol ,str[1] = http
    str1[2] = #server ,str[2] =
    str1[3] = IP ,str[3] =
    str1[4] = address ,str[4] =
    str1[5] = IP_address ,str[5] = cdn.040services.net
    str1[6] = #User ,str[6] =
    str1[7] = name ,str[7] =
    User_name = #Password
    str1[8] = Name ,str[8] = #Password
    User_passwd = #Down
    str1[9] = Password ,str[9] = #Down
    str1[10] = update ,str[10] =
    str1[11] = list ,str[11] =
    str1[12] = file ,str[12] =
    str1[13] = path ,str[13] =
    Http_path = /linpus/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.6/
    str1[14] = Http_path ,str[14] = /linpus/ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.6/
    Ftp_path =
    str1[15] = Ftp_path ,str[15] =

I understand nothing, I see "user passwd down, and nothing that I can do.

Formerly I had an advertising with:
    http://linpuscdn.040services.net/cdn/AC ... 430.sh.xml
    that had to be loaded, and seems to be solved now.

I used tried same way you did, with some mistakes...
    The result is that unhappily live update des not longer work.

mw21410, May 18, 2009
  11. grahamt

mw21410

Hello kgp, there is one other thing I could do,
    first I had my password changed for root,
    second, I made "sudo yum install fedora-release" (as indicated in a topic) to be up to date for deporitories, hoping that it could solve the problem.
    It was not the case, though the command works fine for if I want a package in the futur.

Don't know what to do now. Everything works, but liveupdate do not, neither history files (which is actualy the real problem)

Thanks agains, see you later I expect.

mw21410, May 18, 2009
  12. grahamt

mw21410

mw21410, May 18, 2009
  13. grahamt

Piper64

Although the online updater seems to be working now, I am unable to see the history. I keep getting “Internal error. The updates list cannot be retrieved.” I can live with this but the challenge to sort this out has got the better of me.

The problem might be connected to the fact that I manually downloaded and installed updates 180083 and 180084 when online updater was blocked by the misnamed ace_ame_20090427.sh.xml file.

Like grahamt above I have found an odd file represented by 3 question marks on the main directory with filemanager. It seems to be the same as one called \204\ \255\373 on the /var/lib/online-updater/updates_info directory. Mousepad doesn't seem to recognize it but when copied to a user directory, it opens with a double click to show a list of update .sh file names.

When I run Onlineupdate from the “dark side”, i.e. Alt+F2 terminal, and click on History, it states that:
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity ''/var/lib/online-updater/updates_info/.xml”
    Document is not parsed successfully!
    Failed to fill updates list!

After closing Online Updater window, the terminal shows:
    (<unknown>:23283): Glib-CRITICAL **: g_string_free: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

It then repeats this line about 20 times, perhaps once for each previous update.

By the way, is there a way to copy text from the terminal?!

Any help will be gratefully received.

Piper64, Jun 7, 2009
  14. grahamt

vikont

Piper64, It's fairly easy to fix. Just follow my recipe for manual editing of the update history: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=14478#p91122

Also, delete that offending file with 3 question marks (do rm -i *, and say Yes when the bad file is prompted, Ctrl-C after you've deleted it).

Copying text from the terminal is a piece of cake. First, I suggest you replace that stupid default terminal with normal xterm (there is an option in xfce4 tuning, I don't have my Acer with me right now to point precisely). Then you just highlight the text with the left mouse button, move your mouse where you want it to go and press the middle-button. This is the standard UNIX way of copy-and-paste - no Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V required.

vikont, Jun 8, 2009
  15. grahamt

Piper64

Thank you very much vikont.
    I've deleted the strange file and followed the instructions in your link. The thirty .sh file names in the /var/lib/online-updater/install_date folder are all 11 bytes. The date format in these files is slightly different to what you said, i.e. 2009-06-07, rather than 2009-Jun-07 for example. I presume it shouldn't be necessary to change all these? It would be a tedious job.
    I still get the same error when I click on History, and exactly the same comments on xterm when I run onlineupdate through it.
    Any other ideas?
    Do you know exactly what onlineupdate does? Is it possible to look at the programme file contents, or would be all gobledegook?
    Cheers

Piper64, Jun 9, 2009
  16. grahamt

Piper64

Correction. When I ran onlineupdate from the terminal again I noticed that it couldn't load a missnamed acs_im_20090430.sh. xml file, with a space before the xml. After renaming the xml file with a space, the History button worked perfectly.
    But, update then thought that I didn't have the 180084 update. I downloaded and installed it.
    Then, History thought I had 180084 installed twice.
    I opened installed-success.log with mousepad. It showed the line ace_im_20090430.sh twice.
    I deleted the first. Voila - the Update button and the History button now both work, and it's time I went to bed.
    vikont, you're a genious, thank you very much.

Piper64, Jun 9, 2009
  17. grahamt

krysed

Hi, it's my first time posting Here.

I think I have the same problem with updates, althoug my updater says I'm correclty updated, but also I cannot see any past update with same internal error.
    This happes after updating tonight
    Also tonight I upgraded to FFox3 and put libraris as Macles script says.
    BUT what annoys me the most is that AME program (acer email, rss and others) does not work anymore, running it from a shell, i have next message:
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ AMEbin
    AMEbin: error while loading shared libraries: libxul.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Another fact is that Acer IM (the multi messaging program has also changed, and now gmail accounts doesnt work anymore, but videocall works as it never worked.

krysed, Jun 11, 2009
Ask a Question