Can't install with rpm

Discussion in 'Linux' started by spiridenok, Jun 7, 2009.

1. spiridenok

spiridenok

Hello all,

I've got the following problem with rpm on my AA1. Every time i try to install a downloaded rpm-file, it stops and does not do any intallation. I've tried several different rpm-files that i downloaded from Internet (like Opera browser and SUN java package, so i assume these are correct rpm-files) none of them can be installed.
    i try to install a package using the following in the terminal window (done as root):
    Code:
    rpm -i <file_name>.rpm
    after that nothing happens anymore. The terminal does not return (dont get the command prompt anymore). Ctrl+C does not help to get the command prompt in that terminal window. The package does not get installed.
    I tried to enable verbose output in rpm:
    Code:
    rpm -v -i <file_name>.rpm
    the only this i get is something like "Computing packages", after that - no output anymore, rpm just stops but does not return.

Any help on this problem would be great. Without rpm i can install almost no new SW on my AA1!

My configuration:
    Code:
    AA1 110
    Linux localhost 2.6.23.9lw #105 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 27 18:56:59 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.15.E
    RPM version 4.4.2.2
    Thanks in advance!
    DimaS.

spiridenok, Jun 7, 2009
  2. spiridenok

RockDoctor

Open a terminal window, go to the directory containing your Sun Java rpm file, and execute
    Code:
    rpm -qpi <name-of-sun-java-rpm>
    If this gives you the info for the Sun Java rpm file you downloaded, then rpm itself is probably ok. If not, try the command
    Code:
    rpm -qi thunar
    . If both fail, you may need to reinstall rpm. Come back and I'll try to guide you through the process. If both of the above succeed, I'm not sure what the problem is.

RockDoctor, Jun 8, 2009
  3. spiridenok

spiridenok

Hi

Tried rpm -qpi on jre-6u13-linux-i586.rpm: got meaningful information (like license 'Sun Microsystems Binary', size, group, summary, description, etc.). So i assume this part works fine.

Tried rpm -qi thunar: got 'package thunar is not installed'. not sure what this is for, but seems to be missing om my system.

I also have several __db.00* files in /var/lib/rpm... Not sure if they have to be there...

So, any clue now what might be wrong with my system?

spiridenok, Jun 8, 2009
  4. spiridenok

RockDoctor

My bad. I should have had you try rpm -qi Thunar. Linux is case-sensitive, and I forgot that the T should be uppercase. Thunar is the file manager used by Linpus. It should be present. Be that as it may, the next thing I'd try is rebuilding the rpm database. Do this as root in a terminal window (no need to go to single-user mode) entering the commands shown under the heading Method #1 at
    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/rebuilding-corrupted-rpm-database.html

HTH

RockDoctor, Jun 9, 2009
  5. spiridenok

spiridenok

The following worked for me!
    Code:
    rpm --rebuilddb
    /usr/lib/rmp/rpmdb_verify Packages
    After that i could install java and opera packages.

Thanks for help!

spiridenok, Jun 9, 2009
Ask a Question