Can't Live Update or install anything!?!?!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jars121, Nov 10, 2008.

1. jars121

jars121

Hey guys,

I'm a Linux noob and haven't been able to find any advice elsewhere. When I click on the Live Update icon and then Update, it seems to try and connect for about 5 seconds then gives me an error message saying that you can't connect to the server, and suggests that I'm not on the internet. I have tried this for both wireless and a lan connection, but it doesn't work!

Also, when I try to install programms it gets stuck on the "Retrieving Software Information" section and never loads. I have tried using several yum commands that I have found on other sites, but nothing seems to help fix the problem! I have a feeling that getting Live Update to work will solve the installing problem, so does anyone have any advice? It sure would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

jars121, Nov 10, 2008
  2. jars121

mischiefbec

DO NOT LIVE UPDATE! It took me ten days to get the live update to work and now my whole system is dead! Waiting on replies from more experienced members but I would hate for you to have the same problem!

Love Rebecca xxx

mischiefbec, Nov 10, 2008
  3. jars121

jars121

Ok....So then what do I do about updating the repositories (which don't work) and installing programs? I thought the Live Update was the only way of doing that?

jars121, Nov 11, 2008
  4. jars121

daldred

5. jars121

jars121

Ok, I have tried using the code you posted in that thread, but it doesn't seem to work? When I enter in the cd /var/cache/online-updater and press enter nothing happens? Then the chmod 777 online-updater080904.sh returns an error. Also, the rm online* command reutnrs the same error? What am I doing wrong (I have root authority btw).

Also, I just realised that when I do:

Code:
    # cd/var/cache/online-updater
    # ls -la
    I only get a total of "12", whereas the person you were helping in the other thread got over 46000? What's the deal there?

jars121, Nov 11, 2008
  6. jars121

jars121

I have since cleared the var/cache/online-update directory, and I have also tried the command:

Code:
    sudo yum fedora-release
    And I get an error of: audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused?????

Grrr I really want to use this os but it is making it very frustrating! Anyone have any ideas?

jars121, Nov 11, 2008
  7. jars121

daldred

Search on 'connection refused' on the forum. I've seen other people report and solve that error, I think.

From a couple of lines up: you wouldn't expect a response to a cd command - it's changing what directory you are working in. If a Linux command works as expected, it doesn't produce any additional output to tell you it's just worked.

daldred, Nov 11, 2008
  8. jars121

jars121

Ok, I have tried the sudo -y update fedora-release and that seemed to work, but it says:

"Could not find update matchy for fedora-release
    No packages marked for update"

I have tried going to the the ACER/AspireOne/v1.0.xx website and manually downloading it, and it seems to work and then says it has to boot, but then when I check the software version after the boot, nothing has changed?

So with the first issue, how do I allocate what I want to be updated, and will this fix my problem?

Cheers

jars121, Nov 11, 2008
  9. jars121

mother87

hi there im having exactly the same proplem with my live upadte and software add/removale. have u managed to fix this problem yet and if so how?? cheers Emma x :?

mother87, Nov 11, 2008
  10. jars121

Grim Squeaker

What do you wish to install ?

Also, you seem to be confusing things ;)

"Liveupdate" is a custom program to update what Acer wants you to update. It only installs what Acer makes available.

"Add/remove software" (pirut) and yum are package managers that connect to the normal Fedora repositories. Those contain thousands of different programs that may or may not work on the One.

Unfortunately, since Linpus is not a true Fedora system, add/remove software and yum are not automatically adjusted to new situations, like the fedora repositories moving. That is why you need to manually issue commands like:

Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    and
    Code:
    sudo rpm -ivh [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url] [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm[/url]
    Just to tell the system where to find the repos...

Now, for specific help I need to know what you are trying to install as well as the exact error messages the program gives. It seems the fedora repos are already updated on your system...

Grim Squeaker, Nov 11, 2008
  11. jars121

mother87

ive just tryed to live update and as soon as it finishes downloading them it comes up with error, my network isnt connected????

im not trying to install anything in particular just want it to work so that i can install things lol :D

also cannot get onto my msn messenger or email??

sorry im such a novice at linux lol all ive managed to do so far is get advanced settings

:D

mother87, Nov 11, 2008
  12. jars121

Grim Squeaker

If it is installing an update to the networkmanager that is supposed to happen... but I take it the installation then stops instead of continuing ?

Grim Squeaker, Nov 11, 2008
  13. jars121

mother87

yes after the error window it just closes down :(

not sure why it suddenly stopped working as it worked at first, only had laptop bout a month

the error window reads this:
    could not connect to update server, please check ur network environment as follows: check network cable is properly inserted, check ur network status .

:(

mother87, Nov 11, 2008
  14. jars121

jars121

I get the exact same error message, but mine doesn't even get to the downloading part, I click on the update button and it says searching for the fastest server (or something similar), please wait... and then goes straight to the error.

Also, this is probably a crucial error on my behalf, but I disabled all the repos on the One because that seems to be the only way I can get the Add/Remove Programs manager to work...I will try enabling the fedora-release one, and then the sudo yum update fedora-release thing might work...

jars121, Nov 11, 2008
Ask a Question