Can't mount /dev/sdb1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by webplus, Sep 22, 2008.

1. webplus

webplus

A couple of weeks ago my AA1 (Linpus Linux version) hung with an external USB hard drive connected when I went to shut it down, so I had to press and hold the power button to shut down. Ever since then, I have been unable to mount any USB drives (both flash and hard drives) as /dev/sdb1

The drive shows up in the system but it isn't mounted. When I try and mount it, it says only root can do that, if I mount as su in Terminal it gives an error that it cannot mount the device (indexing problem) and mentions the NTFS formatting and name of the drive that was connected when it hung, even though I haven't used that drive since. So that drive's details seems to be stuck somehow and the AA1 thinks that anything connected as /dev/sdb1 is that drive. No problems at all mounting (FAT32 and NTFS) drives as /dev/sdb2 and /dev/sdb3.

Any idea how I can deal with this, or do I need to do a clean install?

Thanks...

webplus, Sep 22, 2008
  2. webplus

retsaw

Have you still got this problem? The only thing I can think of is that it kept an entry in the /etc/mtab files for that drive though it shouldn't really after a reboot. Check the file and if that is the case then delete the entry.

retsaw, Sep 30, 2008
  3. webplus

Japser

Take a look in the files in /etc/udev/rules.d/

Japser, Sep 30, 2008
  4. webplus

karona

I Have exactly the same problem.
    Here's a C&P of my mtab file, can you see what needs to be deleted.
    Thanks

/dev/sda1 / ext2 rw 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    none /mnt/home aufs rw,si=f3fcc580,xino=/home/user/.aufs.xino,create=mfs,dirs=/home/user=rw:/tmp/posixdir=rw 0 0
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/disk vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,utf8,shortname=winnt,uid=500 0 0
    posix-overlay(/media/disk) /tmp/posixdir fuse.posixovl rw,nosuid,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0

I have changed my login, it's no longer "user", but user appears in the path, is that relevant?

Keith

karona, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question