Car charger for AA1, 10"?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by blue, Apr 27, 2009.

1. blue

blue

I have a new AA1, 10". I'm happy with it. Has anyone found a battery charger for this model which plugs into the cigarette lighter plug in most American cars? Sometimes on the road I need to recharge before I get to my motel for the evening. Radio Shack, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone clerks say no. Acer techreps thank me extensively for my interest in their product, and point me to various websites which have no relevance to my question.

Any insight appreciated.

blue, Apr 27, 2009
  2. blue

Tamrac

Try getting one of those cheap DC/AC inverters that can be plugged in the cigarette outlets. Then you can plug in the normal charger in. That's what I do. This is a much better solution since you can plug in any charger, laptop, cellphone, ipod etc etc. ;) Even all of those at the same time using an extension.

Tamrac, Apr 27, 2009
  3. blue

adrianaitken

eBay - search for D150 car charger
    You'll see a number of HongKong eBayers selling them (approx $15-$20)

adrianaitken, Apr 27, 2009
  4. blue

AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK, Apr 27, 2009
  5. blue

MiniDrivr

I use an iGo charger on the road. Works great and keeps my cell phone or any other devices charged as well. It's nice to only carry a single transformer and a few different tips for all my devices.

http://www.igo.com/detail/IGO+PS00120-0005

MiniDrivr, Apr 27, 2009
  6. blue

Joe Foe from Buffalo

Please tell us more about your IGo. I'm considering on getting one of these....
    http://tinyurl.com/cxro5h
    but now that you mentioned the IGo I may get the IGo insted it does it better and cheaper.

Joe Foe from Buffalo, Apr 28, 2009
  7. blue

AspireOverdrive

The power adapter on these is rated to draw 35w of power. You can get an inverter that can do 35w for like $30 bucks. Will also be nice for other stuff. I'm about to bite the bullet on one of these inverters so I can use the AAO in the car or jeep or whatever I'm driving.

AspireOverdrive, Apr 28, 2009
  8. blue

Tamrac

Got Inverter for like $10 and it's rated at 150w max.... I use it all the time without any problems hehehe. Charged my laptop, phone, etc etc. Even plugged in a desktop fan once when I used it as a sort of portable AC generator during a picnic. :lol: It works. ;)

Tamrac, Apr 28, 2009
  9. blue

AspireOverdrive

Apparently i was wrong on the price of Inverters. I was expecting something more than 100w to be $100 or more. '
    Think I might head up to my local big box retailer and pick up one then figure out where to mount it.

AspireOverdrive, Apr 29, 2009
  10. blue

MiniDrivr

The reason I like the iGo is it works on planes, in the car, or at home. All one "brick" and has tips for my phone, music player, Acer One, etc.

That link you provided looks pretty neat as well. The iGo is not a battery, it only works when it's plugged in. The external battery that is rechargable, with multiple tips for other devices looks like a nice product too. I would guess it would be heavier since it's a battery.

MiniDrivr, Apr 29, 2009
  11. blue

Joe Foe from Buffalo

Is a IGo a way to get power to your gadget when in a car or plane at work or away from your normal AC power pack?

Joe Foe from Buffalo, Apr 30, 2009
  12. blue

mercado79

I saw this deal posted on the Lifehacker website as a deal of the day. $19.00 free shipping.

Belkin Universal Laptop Travel Power Adapter
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=139-010

I'm curious about something though... does anyone have the weight / size specs on the OEM power brick? I'd rather get something the same size or smaller.

mercado79, Apr 30, 2009
  13. blue

mercado79

Ok... maybe too large. According to this post:

viewtopic.php?f=77&t=12004&p=76140

Stock is about 275g and the one on sale is 433.7g according to the belkin site. Oh well. Guess I'll hold off.

mercado79, Apr 30, 2009
  14. blue

Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie, May 14, 2009
  15. blue

Gunner86

Hey guys here is a car adapter i bought off ebay and it works like a charm for about 14$.

Gunner

Gunner86, May 14, 2009
Ask a Question