Card Games

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ebandit, Dec 28, 2008.

1. ebandit

ebandit

Are there any card games -like FreeCell or Spider Solitaire - for Linpus Lite? My SO uses my Aspire oNe and would love to play these games.

ebandit, Dec 28, 2008
  2. ebandit

jinx022

I installed "gnome-games" (sudo yum install gnome-games) which includes aisleriot solitaire (freecell, klondike, spider and 60 other variations). It also installs chess and other, simpler games. Check the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications for a "ShowOnlyIn=Gnome" line and delete it to see the all the games in the Xfce (or advanced) menu.

See http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGames/ for a list of the included games.

jinx022, Dec 29, 2008
  3. ebandit

ebandit

Okay, I loaded gnome-games...but I cant find which file(s) to edit to make them show up. Some show..others -noteably aisleriot- dont show.

ebandit, Dec 29, 2008
  4. ebandit

daldred

Pysol provides loads of solitaire games.
    Code:
    sudo yum install pysol 
    will get it for you.

daldred, Dec 29, 2008
  5. ebandit

jinx022

All the .desktop files load into /usr/share/applications. I type "sudo thunar" in a terminal, locate the appropriate .desktop file, right click and choose "open with mousepad" to edit the file. Delete the "ShowOnlyIn=Gnome" line in each file and then restart.

In the file manager thunar, solitaire shows up as "AisleRiot Solitaire" (real name gnome-sol.desktop).

jinx022, Dec 29, 2008
  6. ebandit

elizabethamb

Hi I am new - new to the Acer Aspire One and new to Linux. All going really well so far, but I miss Freecell. Followed instructions to install etc and then followed further instructions to delete "Show only in Gnome" although this wasn't the exact wording, but it still doesn't appear on the list of games when I right-click. Any further advice please? When I launch it from the File Manager it works fine but obviously I don't want to have to go through all that every time.

Advice gratefully received.
    thanks
    x

elizabethamb, Jan 3, 2009
  7. ebandit

jinx022

You must be close. The line to be removed is actually "OnlyShowIn=GNOME" so I did turn it around a bit.

The obvious first questions are:

You did save the file after removing the line?
    You did restart the computer?
    Look in the right click Advanced Menu under Games for AisleRiot Solitaire?

See http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05/ten_aspire_one_tips/page3.html to learn how to add the /usr/share/applications/gnome-sol.desktop name to your group-app.xml file so its icon appears on your AA1 desktop.

jinx022, Jan 3, 2009
  8. ebandit

elizabethamb

Thanks for your help (and apologies for late response). All working fine now.

:D

elizabethamb, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question