Cases for the Aspire one?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by kaymm2, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kaymm2

philubuntu

It's even better than that....with the AA1 if they ask you to switch it on you can boot it up in less time than it takes for them to ask you, "Did you pack this yourself, Sir"

Just for the record I carry mine in a Nintendo Wii bag..perfect size and loads of pockets...

http://www.game.co.uk/Wii/Hardware/Accessory/~r329914/GAMEware-Nintendo-Wii-Soft-Carry-Case/?s=

£9.99 from GAME in the UK.

philubuntu, Aug 28, 2008
  2. kaymm2

stygiansonic

stygiansonic, Aug 30, 2008
  3. kaymm2

micha

Great bag, why is it fifty bucks? :(

Ah what the hell, it's my birthday next week, I'll ask my parents :D

micha, Aug 30, 2008
  4. kaymm2

micha

I saw Case Logic sleeves for 7"-9" DVD-players at Walmart for $9.97. Not entirely sure if they'd fit but it might be worth looking at.

micha, Sep 2, 2008
  5. kaymm2

The Case Logic Neoprene DVD Player sleeve (XDS-9) is a perfect fit for the AA1. You can get it for $10.99 over at Amazon.

I also found the Verge Portable DVD Player sleeve (VPDVDSLEEVE) to be a good fit. It sells for $21.99 at Circuit City.

karma, Sep 2, 2008
  6. kaymm2

blackjack

I aaaaalmost got this Init case at Best Buy on Labor Day for mine:

Init Sleeve case (NT-DV203) [about $22 now]
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 3815933224

I'm just not sure if you could type on it while keeping it in the case -- the "rim" is kind of tall. This is sort of a "hinged" lid case where you flip the lid like an attache case lid. I like it in theory but you might find yourself reaching over the rim of the case bottom when typing. It has a shoulder strap, and while you'll look like you have a "man purse," I realized on my test Wi-Fi run at Panera that I didn't want to try to carry food and my AA1 at the same time in my hands. :p So any sort of shoulder strap can prove handy.

I think what I really need is a fake, foam AA1 model that I can drag around for testing in cases. :lol:

blackjack, Sep 3, 2008
  7. kaymm2

Gleth

Gleth, Sep 3, 2008
  8. kaymm2

soleblaze

I used a Targus 9" portable DVD case. Fits the computer, power supply, 500mw alfa, usb cable for said alfa, usb to serial adapter, and a 9" rubber duck antenna without a problem. It would also fit the aoa if I had a 6cell battery. However the wii cases do look a bit more useful. I'll have to take a look at those.

soleblaze, Sep 3, 2008
  9. kaymm2

Kraegor

Kraegor, Sep 4, 2008
  10. kaymm2

blackjack

I bought this Init case designed for up to 10" portable DVD players, at Best Buy today (last one at this particular store location).

The AA1 fits in it perfectly, couldn't fit better if it was specially designed for it. :D However, the "hinge" is limited to a vertical 90 degree angle, so I don't know how comfortable it would be to use the AA1 while it's still in it.

It has a shoulder strap, and a couple velcro straps in the main compartment to keep a unit in place in transit. There's a second fairly roomy compartment with slots for about 8 or more DVD/CDs. I think either an AC adapter, or perhaps a slim USB DVD-ROM drive might fit there. And an outer velcro-enclosure compartment on the outside.

I'll share photos of my 'AA1 Man Purse" later tonight. :p

fwiw, here's the Best Buy listing (it's $24.99 in stores, a little cheaper at the Web site it seems):

Init® - Sleeve for Most Portable DVD Players Up to 10" - Black (Model: NT-DV203)
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 3815933224

blackjack, Sep 5, 2008
  11. kaymm2

daldred

Looks and sounds fairly similar to a Case Logic one I bought for £8.99 at Staples (the Case Logic product code is APDV-3: I've found a picture of it here: http://www.bwi.com/prod/510362 ). I wondered about cutting out the flaps which prevent it opening more than 90 degrees (should be easy enough with a craft knife), but I'm leaving them for the moment as I may actually use it to play video in the car next time we have a long journey!

Practically I generally don't use a laptop in its case anyway; there's not much ventilation.

daldred, Sep 5, 2008
  12. kaymm2

karona

Mine's a two pocket 'man-bag' from a souvenir shop, takes the laptop and powerbrick, has zip pockets for pen-drives, usb card reader and an external 2.5 hard drive, and cost the equivalent of UKP 2.00 here in Bulgaria :D

Keith

karona, Sep 5, 2008
  13. kaymm2

blackjack

I'm a delicate guy though. I think a "man purse" is more my style than a burly "man bag." :lol: If you can share a photo or two of it I'm sure folks would be interested to see it.

On my case, I think cutting the strap "hinges" might be one idea. Maybe putting Velcro type fasteners on the resulting ends, so you could use the straps when you need them, and leave them loose when you don't? Then again, yeah, the bag is probably not conductive to heat dissemination. I could maybe squeeze a little angled laptop rack in it or even one of these "heat absorption" mats, but it might all be more trouble than it's worth. :|

blackjack, Sep 5, 2008
  14. kaymm2

daldred

Velcro's a good thought. Hmm. Might try that....

daldred, Sep 5, 2008
  15. kaymm2

micha

Got a Kroo EEE sleeve (already ordered before I saw the Case Logic one :p) and it fits nicely ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00197KBNE

It's very tight so a good fit. I'm gonna use the bag I already have probably, with this sleeve, until I find something perfecter.

micha, Sep 5, 2008
  16. kaymm2

blackjack

I mentioned eyeing a $25 Init case meant for up to 10" portable DVD players at Best Buy. I picked it up today. It fits this so well, it's like it was made for it without realizing it. :icon_cool: It has a second zippered compartment very suitable for the AC Adapter/recharger (and maybe a very slim DVD-ROM drive, but it might be pushing it), and a bulging exterior Velcro-sealed compartment ideal for a cordless mouse and a bit more junk. The other side has a thin Velcro-sealed pocket maybe suitable for documents or manuals. And it comes with an adjustable, padded shoulder strap too.

Here's a few pics (apologies to dialups for this sudden image craziness on my part :oops: ):
    [​IMG]

Top-down (you could of course keep the original black case sleeve on it too)
    [​IMG]

With nothing in the second compartment, it'll only angle back upright (90 degrees). Throw the adapter or some weight in there though and it sags back to the point you might be able to use the unit in it if you needed (albeit probably you'd have cooling concerns long-term).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Adapter fits very nicely in compartment #2.
    [​IMG]

And a cordless mouse in the unzipped compartment, which has a "bulge" that lets you put fairly bulky things in it, while still being able to seal it with the Velcro:
    [​IMG]

blackjack, Sep 6, 2008
  17. kaymm2

Nambleruk

18. kaymm2

Jessica Marine

Jessica Marine, Sep 6, 2008
  19. kaymm2

blackjack

Very snazzy. :D I noticed at the site it has a few card-holder slots stitched in. I couldn't quite tell what side they're on, maybe you can fill us in on that when you receive it. :)

blackjack, Sep 6, 2008
  20. kaymm2

kaymm2

kaymm2, Sep 7, 2008
Ask a Question