CD/DVD drive installation problems.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by tesla, Sep 1, 2009.

1. tesla

tesla

Hello

I have a Aspire one, has windows XP installed with all updates. I want to use a external usb-enabled DVD/CD drive. I know I have done it before, and it worked fine. I can still use a external backup drive with no problems on any USB port. But, when I try to use the DVD drive, (I have tried 2 different ones) it doesn't install correctly, and won't work. I think it is probably a driver problem, possibly due to a windows update.

Anyone else had this problem?

Regards,

Gene

tesla, Sep 1, 2009
  2. tesla

Theborgbabe

I have had same problem and have never got a self contained external cd drive to work wiv me aspire one.
    In the end I purchased "sata/ide/power suppy/lead/ blah blah kit" off ebay for £5, Hong Kong, and made my own external cd drive with an ordinary unit. This works fine. Anyone out there know why some external drives dont work?????
    Winxp Sp3

Theborgbabe, Sep 2, 2009
  3. tesla

leokendall

Guessing here but maybe power supply?

Best thing u can get for any computer is a IDE/Sata to usb of ebay. There only a couple of bucks, and let you hook up any laptop or desktop Sata or ide hardrive, cd-rom via usb to any computer. Works perfect for me. You may need to buy a 12v+5V adapter to use the bigger drive bays. But still there only a couple of bucks also. Perfect for makeing backups of a hardrive if a computer crashes.

leokendall, May 5, 2010
Ask a Question