CF conversion didn't work

Discussion in 'Storage' started by jonljacobi, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

I just got a Zif/CF converter with a flash card and hooked it up. It doesn't show up in the BIOS as a hard drive. Same deal with a 32GB SSD Super Talent loaned me. After reading about all the CF mods, I was sure that this would work. Perhaps the converter isn't working? Seems like a very simple device. I tried several different cables including the one from the Intel SSD which still works fine (with stalls). The CF card works fine in readers and cameras. Am I missing something? BIOS 3309

jonljacobi, Jan 6, 2009
  2. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

I did manage to get the Zif converter to work with a three way, 40/44/ZIF IDE adapter. It's pretty darn fast as well. I'll give it another shot. Perhaps the cable wasn't seated properly...

jonljacobi, Jan 6, 2009
  3. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

No dice. I'm really wondering about my revision. Could it possibly be locked to work with only one type of hard drive???? I suppose that's paranoia. :shock:

jonljacobi, Jan 6, 2009
  4. jonljacobi

pekcle

I just saw the light today and finally figured out why my two CF converters and the Hitachi C4K60 20GB drive didn't work. There are a few mentions of a flip cable (very few) floating around without any definitive answer until I read the one by andy53. Can you post a picture of the cable you used? Basically, you the pins are not parallel, they are in reversed order. So, the contact pins need to be on opposite side of the ribbon cable. I didn't have any, so I folded one side of the contacts so that the pins are flipped to the other side. After finally figuring that out, I was able to get my CF converter and HDD working. However, I couldn't install Windows on the CF, but that's another story. I'll post a picture of my cable after it finishes installing Windows.

pekcle, Jan 7, 2009
  5. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

Here's a pic of the cables, but I don't think that's the problem as I also tried the cable that the Intel SSD is attached to. Unless there's something funny going on with that.

I have and inquiry into Acer about this issue. I have a few resources that most folks don't have, being a computer journalist and all.

What happened with Windows?

Cheers, Jon

jonljacobi, Jan 9, 2009
  6. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

I'm wondering about voltages. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Cheers, Jon

jonljacobi, Jan 9, 2009
  7. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

Okay, now I see what you mean. I'll open it up again and try all the cables. I do have the flip one.

jonljacobi, Jan 10, 2009
  8. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

I'm now at a complete loss. These drives show up on a simple IDE adapter, I've tried all the cables including the one from the Intel and the BIOS simply doesn't recognize either the CF adapter or the Super Talent. Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Acer is at CES so I won't hear back from them until they get back.

Cheers, Jon

jonljacobi, Jan 10, 2009
  9. jonljacobi

pekcle

I had a SanDisk Ultra II 4GB in it. The BIOS screen did not list anything in the first windows. When I looked at the boot order menu, it was listed. If you disable the "Quick Boot" option and reboot, does it list the card as a drive?

pekcle, Jan 10, 2009
  10. jonljacobi

jonljacobi

I take it back, I don't think any of these cables are flipped. Where do I get one?

jonljacobi, Jan 12, 2009
  11. jonljacobi

pekcle

OK so I took these a few days ago. My folded cables...

[attachment=0:2j313dkl]pic1.jpg[/attachment:2j313dkl]
    [attachment=2:2j313dkl]pic2.jpg[/attachment:2j313dkl]
    [attachment=1:2j313dkl]pic3.jpg[/attachment:2j313dkl]

pekcle, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question