Change Color Depth in Ubuntu 8.10

Discussion in 'Linux' started by diverbelow, Jan 7, 2009.

1. diverbelow

diverbelow

Hello, sorry if this question might have been asked already but I could not find the solution.

I would like to change the color depth from current (guessing it is 24 since it seems that is the default) to 15 or 16; to increase video performance. Has anyone done this?

NOTE: The reason why I asked is that since Ubuntu switch to the new x-server which uses hal detection, don't know if just editing xorg will have any affect. Otherwise I would have changed the Defaultdepth in xorg.conf

Another NOTE, is that Ubuntu 8.10 installed the i710 driver instead of i810 which according to synaptic supports the i945 graphics driver.

diverbelow, Jan 7, 2009
  2. diverbelow

diverbelow

I wanted to report back to say that I added Defaultdepth 16 to xorg.conf and I noticed that with glxgears my average fps is 250.582 and that is a increase of about 18 fps. One thing I did notice that netbook-launcher does not start with Defaultdepth 16, but if you comment out that line netbook-launcher does start.

diverbelow, Jan 8, 2009
Ask a Question