changing user to myself

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by squirreldancer, Sep 29, 2008.

1. squirreldancer

squirreldancer

I've borked my linpus multiple times trying different customizations. Now I finally have the XFCE desktop switcher set up and a custom theme installed. I have enabled the GDM for login security. Now I would like to change "user" to my own name by logging in as root and using the usermod command.

However, since I've broken my linpus so many times before, I would like to know if anyone has tried this or if they know if it will break anything? Will Linpus run without a user called "user"?

-squirreldancer

squirreldancer, Sep 29, 2008
  2. squirreldancer

karona

The only problem I had was Thunderbird 'forgot' me, and I had to setup new e-mail and news accounts for the new login, but couldn't remember the server settings. Take a note of yours *before* you change your login.

Keith

karona, Sep 30, 2008
  3. squirreldancer

squirreldancer

Thanks Keith,

I'll give usermod a go then, but I'm keeping my trusty (well worn!) usb boot image handy, just in case.

-squirreldancer

squirreldancer, Oct 1, 2008
  4. squirreldancer

RockDoctor

I don't know if it'll help, but you might try keeping user "user" and adding a new user for yourself. This way, you won't be breaking anything, and user "user" will be available if the new user doesn't work properly. If you do add yourself as another user, be sure to add your new user to the sudoers list (if you don't know how to do this, just ask).

RockDoctor, Oct 2, 2008
  5. squirreldancer

blackhawk

I kept user 'user' but the real name changed to my name.
    Code:
    $ userinfo

blackhawk, Oct 3, 2008
  6. squirreldancer

cpchan

For a default Linpus setup other then changing the user "user" to your new user name, you also need to change the "wheel" group to include yourself or else the machine won't start up properly.

Wow, I can't believe I am advising someone to put themself in the wheel group.

cpchan, Oct 3, 2008
  7. squirreldancer

rbil

hehe

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question