charging cord make computer start burning

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by harleylady714, May 21, 2013.

1. harleylady714

harleylady714

I started having trouble with the cord that charges my battery a few weeks ago. I had to keep repositioning it to get it to charge. The other night, I was using it and pluggd it in. It got extremely hot and it smelled like it was burning something. There was a small puff of smoke that came out of laptop. Naturally I unplugged and shut down. The laptop still works fine, when it isn't plugged it - it doesn't overheat or anything. Can I buy another power cord? Could it be that just my cord is faulty? I don't have much power left, so if it's safe, I want to just buy a new cord.

harleylady714, May 21, 2013
  2. harleylady714

something back

My advice is to stop using the faulty cable, firstly electricity is very dangerous you can also further damage your computer beyond repair. You may just need to replace the faulty charger unit, or the problem could be a faulty dc power jack. Places to look are sites like amazon and ebay. Search terms should be the make of your computer followed by the search terms dc power jack or charger. A good computer store should be able to give you a free quotation of costs involved.

something back, May 21, 2013
  3. harleylady714

Jazma96

Stop using you purchase another. Using the faulty cord could be dangerous.

Jazma96, Apr 8, 2014
  4. harleylady714

babyleans

i'm not sure if its your cord or your laptop but i was in a similar situation. my adapter (charger) started smelling like it was burning and a puff of smoke came out as well. it stopped working and the next day i took it to a repair shop. it only cost me like $3 and now it works fine. they told me a capacitor had burned up or something. take it to a repairshop they'll fix it for you.

babyleans, Apr 14, 2014
Ask a Question