Cheap and Quick Auto Stand.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nchntr, Oct 24, 2008.

1. nchntr

nchntr

So my AA1 with GPS and Google Earth make a perfect 9" Screen GPS. So much so I was able to retire my n770. However a 9" screen make it a little big to dash mount, and cheap-o me-o isnt gonna pay $80-300 for a prefessional Laptop stand (they are too big n-e-way). So I buget-ineered a solution that works quite well.

Here is what you need:
    Targus Grypton PRO XL tripod ($17.96 in the camera section @ walmart) This is a 12" tall tripod, with flexible legs. It ahs a detachable head with a stud for attaching a camera.
    Cutting Board (or any other 3/16" thick workable material) (I got a 2 pack of plastic cutting boards from Biglots $2)
    Saw (I used my trusty 4" circulan from my craftsman rechargable kit)
    Drill with an 1/8" bit (or close)
    Industrial Velcro
    Bunjee cords, one small 6" long 1/8" cord small hooks, another long (long enough to pass under the passenger seat and through the seat cushions and hook to itself with tension) with large hooks (large enough to hook around the tripod head).

1) Cut the plastic board to form a platform large enough for the AA1 (mine has a 1/4" perimeter visible all the way around) It must be long enough to hit all four feet ad also be 1/2" wider than the AA1.
    2) Draw a diagonal lines from corner to corner (locate the center) drill a hole just big enough to thread the stud in the tripod into.
    3) Screw the tripod head into the platform untill it is flush and tight. (You can also run a bead of epoxy around the head, I did not need this, I might later down the road.)
    4) Find a good location for a few strips of velcro on the bottom of the AA1 (not on the battery, 3g door, or vents) also note that the velcro will fill some space, make sure you done create a highspot for the AA1 to rock on. I relocated it twice to get it where the vlecro would seat, but just barely, but all four feet were still firmly on the platform.
    5) The small bunjee cord will run over the top of the AA1 and hook into holes in the platform. It should be all the way to the top of the Keyboard and pass just above the power button. The holes in the platform should align with this bunjee and the bunjee will be secured over the outside edge of the platform with hooks pointing inward. (Ill post some pics if requested)
    So now we have a platform with the AA1 Secured and the head of the tripod attached to the bottom. Now to mount the base.
    6) The idea is to bend the tripod legs to contour to the passenger seat. One leg goes forward slightly then bends sharply down along the front of the seat. The next leg points straight out to the side (runs 2" back along the front edge of the passenger seat) and keeps the unit stable under left hand turns. The last leg bends towards the driver seat a few inches then sharply towards the back of the car. This runs down the seam of the seat and seat side bolsters. This gives some stability for right turns and acceleration.
    7) Now take the large bunjee cord, hook it just under the tripod head, run it back through the seak crack (hehe, huh huh) under the seat, up the front and hook to the tripod head. Pull the bunjee cord to tension it with force pulling toward the back of the seat (this keeps stuff in place when braking hard) I also slid the bunjee to the outside where is passes through the seat, with the tripod head positioned about 3" in and 3" back from the passenger seat front inside edge. This causes the bunjee to pull on an angle where the 2 supporting legs are (adding to right hand turn stability).
    8) You need to note the direction of the pivot on the head and ensure it is pointing to the driver seat, so tilting up and down doesnt = tipping side to side. Tighten the head, and then tighten it some more (until you finger hurt) the tripod is rated at 2.6lbs the AA1 is like 2.7? But it works fine.
    9) pull and twist the head lock to hold in open position, set the AA1 platform into the tripod indexed such that it points toward you, twist and let the tripod head lock.

Thats it. Keep in mind the whole thing uses the passenger seat as a base (which is moved a few clicks back from all the way forward, finger tip on the touchpad and elbow on the center console arm rest), and it will move a little bit (vibration) more so because of the seatfoam. I have used this for several hours now and have no complaints, I have tested it to .95 lateral G's and it is stable, I have tested it under hard braking and acceleration and it hasn't moved yet. It does wiggle a little when cornering over road irregularities, but my cars suspension is so stiff that i get kidney pains after a 5 hr drive (thus YMMV).

nchntr, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question