choppy playback on and offline

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by sunster, May 23, 2009.

1. sunster

sunster

Hi all,

Got a happy running AAO 150 ideneb with only one exception - the iplayer app (ie. downloaded) is incredibly choppy to the point of being completely unwatchable. Have repaired permissions, but still no joy.

I've also checked the online version of iplayer and it's much better, but still choppy and nowhere near as smooth as I had it running under ubuntu netbook remix.

Any ideas smart people?

sunster, May 23, 2009
  2. sunster

yohko101

if you have Core/Image and Quartz Extreme running, i dont think watching videos should be choppy.

yohko101, May 23, 2009
  3. sunster

sunster

Hi everyone again -long time... been busy.

Anyway, thanks yoko, but even with core image running as well as quartz extreme, I get choppy playback.

Further to this I tried uninstalling adobe air which iplayer uses. Still no joy. Even if I go to YouTube the video playback isn't that good and online movies on the BBC website are the same.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Oh, I have the swirly lights thing running as a screensaver and that runs perfectly as do the other screensavers!

sunster, Jun 1, 2009
  4. sunster

yohko101

watching online videos is a different issue from watching avi/mp4/mkv. are you using a compatible wifi card or plugged in your lan? i heard the atheros wifi w/ kismac isn't too good compared to the broadcom wifi cards (so i switched mine out). well, im also using vlc player to play my media files and it can play mkv without much problems offline. as for youtube, i havent seen much choppy playback except when im download files and it sucks up the bandwidth.

yohko101, Jun 1, 2009
  5. sunster

sunster

Hi again Yokho,

I've also tried using an ethernet cable - incidentally I switched my wifi card to the broadcom one that is recognised as an airport card. Also, the choppy playback issue arises online and even worse so when watching iplayer TV programmes that are downloaded onto the hard drive for playback.

Youtube is certainly better than iplayer, probably down to the compression quality and are watchable, but considering I had iplayer programmes running smoothly using ubuntu I'm still at a loss as to what is going wrong.

I have quartz extreme activated using ideneb tools. As for Core Image, I am simply assuming that I have this activated as if I run system profile it shows up as being enabled but I have never explicitly activated this (I have no idea what it is or where I would do so). Can you point me in the right direction? Maybe I need to deactivate/reactivate this to alleviate the issue.

thanks for all your help,

Sunster

sunster, Jun 2, 2009
  6. sunster

pyro225

I have the same issue on windows vista and windows 7?

pyro225, Jun 3, 2009
  7. sunster

sunster

All is well with me now. I did a software update (minus the 10.5.7 update, but including quicktime) and did a restart and hey presto - smooth running video at last. Really really happy now!

sunster, Jun 9, 2009
Ask a Question