Classical laptop with newer hardware

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by steveeebruh123, Jul 9, 2023.

1. steveeebruh123

steveeebruh123

The hardware in my current laptop is getting a little dated at 15yo. It's still capable of all my regular computing activities, but I'd like to get something with more modern graphics/video APIs and CPU instruction sets for future proofing sake. And I'd just be nice to have more faster cores and more RAM available to me. But I dislike all the newer laptops I've seen.

Specifically what I like about my current laptop and not newer laptops:
    • A mouse stick. Extremely useful for when I'm switching between using the mouse and typing constantly. Also it's a nice to have because either the touchpad or mouse nub will feel more comfortable and natural to use depending on what I'm doing.
    • A normal touchpad. I've used modern laptops with giant single button gesturepads and I could never get used to it. Using multiple fingers to substitute physical buttons and pressing down on the surface of the touchpad to click feels so weird. And my palms always seem to rest on larger touchpads and cause misinputs. ~3.5" is the perfect size for a touchpad.
    • HiDPI displays. Maybe if I was using Windows or MacOS or a big name desktop environment, it wouldn't be so problematic. But I live in XFCE land and I happen to really like it here. Either 1600x900 or 1440x900 is perfect for a 14" laptop IMO.
    • Indicator lights and switches just don't seem to exist anymore. Like drive activity, wifi activity, and caps lock. Drive activity is nice to know how busy my computer is at the moment and if it's hit the swapfile yet. Caps lock light should just be manditory on laptops and keyboards because of how easily that key is to bump.
    • The removal of useful IO on modern laptops dumbfounds me. I don't think I have to explain it.
    Also any laptop I get has to have great Linux compatability. I don't think I'm gonna find anything modern. I'm expecting probably something used and dumping upgrades into it. Budget is around half a grand USD.

steveeebruh123, Jul 9, 2023
  2. steveeebruh123

Hangngoainhap

bài viết rất hữu ích, tôi đang quan tâm đến các loại máy tính hp

Hangngoainhap, Aug 19, 2023
  3. steveeebruh123

Atta726

It sounds like you have a clear preference for certain features in laptops that are not commonly found in newer models. While modern laptops offer advanced hardware, you value your current laptop's mouse stick, touchpad size, HiDPI display, indicator lights, switches, and useful IO. Considering your specific needs and budget, looking into used laptops and upgrading them could be a viable option. Ensuring Linux compatibility and finding a balance between your desired features and modern hardware might lead you to a satisfactory choice. Best of luck in your search!

Atta726, Aug 21, 2023
Ask a Question