Clicked on dodgy popup in FF2.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Yosser_UK, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Yosser_UK

Yosser_UK

Hello.

I was doing a bit of online shopping using my Aspire One. I was buying something off ebay and was using paypal. Anyway when I was on the screen that confirmed my payment a popup saying something Like 'jp autospend' appeared with a countdown bar that went from 10 - 1 seconds. Thinking 'what the hell is this' I clicked on the X to close the popup (yes I know I shouldn't of clicked it) and my screen went black. The screen came back on after pressing the power button.

Should I be worried? I thought Linux couldn't really get viruses? I read that they can reside in the FF cache. COuld it have been a key logger?

I've changed my password for Paypal and ebay and I'm going to check my accounts just in case.

Yosser_UK, Oct 26, 2008
  2. Yosser_UK

rbil

Was it a browser window that popped up or a system window? Were you on battery perhaps and running low on power, so the system wanted to go into suspend mode? You didn't say "autosuspend", but I'm assuming that is what you meant to type. The error message you left here is from memory, and if your memory is anything like mine, it probably isn't the actual message that was displayed. :)

I'm really doubtful that your system has been compromised in any way.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 26, 2008
  3. Yosser_UK

the100thmonkey

It does seem reminiscent of the kpowersave notification that pops up when the system is about to auto-suspend...

the100thmonkey, Oct 26, 2008
  4. Yosser_UK

Yosser_UK

Hi,

No it was connected to the mains. I'm 90% sure it was not a system pop up becuase I looked at the task bar and only FF was there. It also said something about spending money on my credit card or a credit card, in the popup, say I have 10 seconds before 'kp' or 'k' autospend.

I might try and put FF3 on my Linpus install instead of using FF2. Might be a bit more secure.

Yosser_UK, Oct 27, 2008
  5. Yosser_UK

Phil_Urich

It certainly could have caused a crash, especially if it WAS intended to be a virus. So if you were running Windows you might be infected right now, but instead it just caused a software crash. It also could have just been something programmed bad that then reacted similarly badly and made things crash. No biggee. If you're feeling paranoid you can install ClamAV, it's commandline only but if you install the klamav package you'll have a nice fancy GUI frontend for it. But again, your machine isn't really in any danger.

Phil_Urich, Oct 27, 2008
  6. Yosser_UK

Yosser_UK

Hi Phil.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. If it was a virus it might have just made linux flip out a little before resuming. I'm going to keep aeye on paypal etc. for the next week or two just to make sure.

Cheers.

Yosser_UK, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question