Complete Beginner - How Do I Start the Computer?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aeclark, May 12, 2009.

1. aeclark

aeclark

This is going to sound like a very silly question - but how do I start the Aspire I just bought this afternoon?

I turned on the power button, and it appears to run through some sort of start up process, scrolling through a lot of text. It then stops at a screen which reads:

* The complete license terns can be found in the root directory *
    * Please type "less /GPL" and "less /COPYRIGHT" to view. *
    Linpus Linux LiveCD Edition v9.2 b081110dv1
    [root@localhost /]#

I am now at a complete loss as to what I am meant to do to. Is there something I am meant to type to get the computer running? I want to be able to just turn the computer and click on the appropriate icons to run any programmes on the computer. As I am an absolute beginner, I'd be very grateful if someone can explain to me in very simple steps what I am meant to do.

Thanks

aeclark, May 12, 2009
  2. aeclark

larkim

I'm sure there is a proper Linux answer to that, but I'll give you a common sense one instead.

It shouldn't do that. It should power up into a nice screen with icons and a mouse.

You should return it, and exchange it for one that works - though that will be a shame if it is not convenient for you.

HTH!

Matt

larkim, May 12, 2009
  3. aeclark

melhiore

can you try:

Code:
    startx

melhiore, May 12, 2009
  4. aeclark

groeswenphil

I expect that there are ways to fix this.........and there are probably gurus here who could get it up and running in no time.
    However, as has been said before, it shouldn't do this. It should start with a few questions, then start with big bold icons, ready to do something amazing.

My vote goes with the 'It's broken, take it back' option.

BUT don't think that this is because Linux is free so it can't be any good. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    You've just had a bit of bad luck.....it happens.
    Phil

groeswenphil, May 12, 2009
  5. aeclark

aeclark

Hi melhiore;

typing startx gives me a message saying command not found.

Hi groeswenphil and larkim;

I suspected I would probably need to take it back! It is kind of a relief actually - I'd been feeling a bit like a kid opening a birthday present only to find it wasn't what he was expecting - I was thinking "what have I got myself into?" I'd heard so many people raving about linux that I was enthusiastic about switching over, thinking it would be as straightforward as my previous switches to Firefox and OpenOffice.

If a simple swap at the shop can solve the problem, I'll be happy!

Thanks for the help.

aeclark, May 13, 2009
Ask a Question