Complete beginner - security

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LJS15, May 18, 2009.

1. LJS15

LJS15

Please can someone tell me what I have to do for security, (anti virus, spywhere, identity theft etc.) as I have won an Acer Aspire One netbook, Linux version and am only used to Windows. Please explain it very simply. Thanks.

LJS15, May 18, 2009
  2. LJS15

groeswenphil

Please can someone tell me what I have to do for security, (anti virus, spywhere, identity theft etc.)

I hope I've got this right.

I've been using Linux for about three years now; Ubuntu Linux and now Linpus as well.

I haven't used any anti virus software. As far as I know there are only one or two viruses around for Linux and they won't install onto your system because every time you have to add new software to your system you are asked for a password.
    Some people use AVG I believe but they only use it so that they can't pass on a virus to a friend.

Spyware.........again, I don't think it causes problems to a Linux system. I've never heard anybody else mention that it can cause problems either.

Identity theft........Do you have a firewall? If so then you should be OK. Make sure you choose a good system password. Don't store passwords in your computer or in an on line storage area like web mail. Avoid conversations where you mention your mother's maiden name or your birthday and............I'm not saying you'll be safe but you should be able to sleep easy.

Linux is a far more secure system than Windows simply because software cannot install without your permission.
    What it can't help you with though is yourself........don't leave important passwords lying around.
    All the best,
    Phil

groeswenphil, May 19, 2009
  3. LJS15

LJS15

Phil,

Thank you for your reply. I don't think I have a firewall. I cannot find one, but don't really know where to find it! Where would you recommend I get one from?

Thanks Linda

LJS15, May 19, 2009
  4. LJS15

libssd

Don't worry; desktop Linux (unlike server Linus) is inherently very secure and not (yet) of much interest to those who develop malware. You are probably the weakest link, so use the "passwords are like underwear" defense: keep your passwords private, long, not shared with others, and changed often.

libssd, May 26, 2009
  5. LJS15

groeswenphil

My router has a firewall system within its depths.

I used touse a software firewall some time ago when I used Windows.
    I believe most modern routers have a firewall.
    A firewall is a protection system that stops other people from getting into your computer through the back door so to speak.

Incidentally, I loved the analogy between passwords and underwear but if anybody ever wants to see mine, just e mail me ;O)
    Phil

groeswenphil, May 26, 2009
Ask a Question