complete novice

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Tomgirl, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Tomgirl

Tomgirl

Hi all, I am having a few problems with my new toy. I bought my AO a couple of weeks ago just really for word processing, and because it has Linux on which we use instead of Microsoft, I must admit however that I accepted the item straight off the shelf, this was because it was in a sale at Curry's and they had only that one left. When I got home I found that customers had messed with it so I couldn't set my own password, so I took it back and the member of staff did clear it for me. Got back home and set up my password, but I'm puzzled by two things.

One: I only get asked for my password if I lock the computer, but at initial boot up it doesn't ask for it at all, which I thought was the idea for your security?
    Two:The Settings word has now changed to Preferences, what does this mean?

Although I use computers at work and at home I've never had one of my own before so hence not really knowing what's going on. Please don't tell me I have to return it as I love the item, but want it to be secure when I travel with it. Also, I'm not into programming etc so please don't blind me with codes etc unless absolutely necessery!

Thanks
    Tomgirl :?

Tomgirl, Jan 22, 2009
  2. Tomgirl

daldred

Er, well, yes it normally would be for a Linux system. Acer have set the One up with automatic log on for the user, so if you want to go back to a more normal setup you'll need to disable it. There's a thread about that here.

Alternatively you could set a BIOS password - but be careful as there are starnge limitations to the BIOS password system; do some searching on the forum first.

Code:
    Two:The Settings word has now changed to Preferences, what does this mean?
    This is on the desktop? No idea, to be honest; as long as you get the same icons in the Settings group, I wouldn't think it matters!

daldred, Jan 22, 2009
Ask a Question