compz + mplayer on stock linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jaek, Aug 19, 2008.

1. jaek

jaek

I'm trying to figure out how to make mplayer play better when running compiz. So far this is the best solution I have found:

mplayer -vo gl -quiet -fs video.avi

The problem with this is that it windows below the player sometimes flash (blit) thru the fullscreen window. Also windowed mode doesnt seem to work. Anyone know if this could be due to the lack of ram allocated for video? Or just buggy drivers?

jaek, Aug 19, 2008
  2. jaek

annafil

Hi there, it's not really either...

The best way to get videos to work well with compiz is to patch and recompile mplayer with support for a special compiz extension which bypasses a lot of the rendering steps delivering a great picture.

If this sounds like something you're up for, I can post some quick instructions :)

annafil, Aug 19, 2008
  3. jaek

annafil

PS. you could also upgrade the graphics driver (which atm also involves recompiling) to support EXA rendering, which will help most media players work with compiz better.

annafil, Aug 19, 2008
  4. jaek

yatfu

Hi there, I've been trying to achieve the same as the topic starter, but had no luck so far. Could you please post the instructions? :D Started out with the aspire one as a total linux n00b, but finally got things running pretty well now, the only thing I'd like is mplayer to work with compiz enabled.

Thanks in advance :)

yatfu, Aug 30, 2008
  5. jaek

annafil

yatfu: There's a couple of methods now to get compiz+mplayer working together.

I initially wanted to recommend recompiling mplayer with a patch, but that only solves the problem with Mplayer, but what if you want to use VLC? or some video in the browser?

So the better way is to upgrade the graphics driver to a 2.2.1 which is NOT available for the version of Fedora that the Aspire One is running.

I compiled it myself, but that was not a fun process, so instead of putting up compiling instructions, I think it's best if I just put up the end files, and tell you where to copy them. (more n00b friendly, and since we're all running the same hardware it's fairly straightforward)

I'll do that when I get home later today and put up a new thread, so check back later

annafil, Aug 31, 2008
  6. jaek

annafil

annafil, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question