connect ipod

Discussion in 'Linux' started by toymom, Dec 28, 2008.

1. toymom

toymom

tried to download itunes, but it won't work?? What can I use to transfer music to my ipod?

toymom, Dec 28, 2008
  2. toymom

laughinboy

What doesnt work? The downloading? The installation of iTunes? Any error messages? Is the iPod recognised by Windows when connected?

laughinboy, Dec 28, 2008
  3. toymom

toymom

it recognizes the ipod, but it won't install itunes. I can't get any music downloaded to it.

toymom, Dec 28, 2008
  4. toymom

laughinboy

Does the installer fail to launch when you double click it? Do you get any error messages? Have you tried to download another copy of iTunes in case the original download is corrupted? Or how about trying the cd that came with your iPod? Open Task Manager - Processes. Is iTunes listed?

Hang on a second...I just saw where your topic is listed...under Linux! Are you using Linux? If you are scrap everyting I said.

laughinboy, Dec 30, 2008
  5. toymom

badmuddahumpa

There is no iTunes for Linux. Period.

Under older versions you could use libgpod in the backend, with Gtkpod or Amarok as the frontend and sync, but stupid Apple are being dicks and they have now added a hash to the iTunesDB that is stored on iPods and used to store track info. Without knowing how this hash works no third party application can sync an iPod.

To make matters worse, the group out there that was trying to reverse engineer the hash have had themselves slapped with a baseless lawsuit by the facist powers at apple. http://bluwiki.com/go/Ipodhash The EFF has stepped up to defend them, but no matter how you score it the hash will not be figured out soon.

So no syncing iPods in Linux.

badmuddahumpa, Dec 30, 2008
  6. toymom

ca6

I was able to use songbird to at least get playback on my ipod classic 160...never tried if I could sync it, but I do that stuff on my desktop.

ca6, Dec 30, 2008
  7. toymom

Growlf

err... I gather Linpus has no Wine option (http://winehq.com)? ...would not running the Windows app work just fine? I run it that way on my Ubuntu AA1 (non-SSD) with no issues. I gots to have my iTouch!! :cool:

Growlf, Jan 1, 2009
  8. toymom

MaddHatter

GTKPod is a sub for itunes. Works well on my shuffle

MaddHatter, Jan 3, 2009
  9. toymom

quikkie

I use songbird. Naturally it doesn't connect to the itunes store but it does allow me to manage songs/playlists/podcasts from non-apple sources.

I had to install a plugin so that it would talk to my nano but that was both easy to find and easy to install (just like a firefox plugin).

quikkie, Jan 12, 2009
  10. toymom

toymom

thanks for the suggestions I will give them a try. what is GTKPod? is it a webaddress?

toymom, Jan 12, 2009
  11. toymom

revolt

With my brother's nano i use amarok. It is the best music player available for linux (or any other OS) in my opinion, and does a very good job of managing music on the ipod.

revolt, Jan 18, 2009
  12. toymom

Suzanne

Can anyone tell me how i can EASILY download or use a music player to put music on my ipod before i throw it out the window? I really need help!!!

Suzanne, Mar 2, 2009
  13. toymom

revolt

Hi Suzanne, what operating system are you using?

Joe

revolt, Mar 3, 2009
  14. toymom

cafsenra

cafsenra, Jun 29, 2009
  15. toymom

garrovick

iPods and Linux never have worked together properly. Mainly no book marking or resume function. For my Ubuntu, I use GTKpod to drag and drop files.

Linux takes a 250 dollar iPod and turns it into a 50 dollar off the discount rack mp3 player.

Plus Apple owns the software on the iPod and can do what ever they want to.

Do Zunes work? Do Sony Walkmans work?

garrovick, Jun 29, 2009
Ask a Question