Connecting E220 3G to Mobile Partner. How?!!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by adam.chucka, Nov 18, 2008.

1. adam.chucka

adam.chucka

Hi
    I have just bought a new Acer One running Linux Linpus and I can not connect my 3G dongle Huawei E220 to it.
    Firstly I downloaded the auto updates (containing the Mobile Partner program ) onto the One as advised by Acer help line.
    When I plug my E220 into the One all I get is two messages cycling one after the other: "devices has been disconnected or is unavailable" & "device found please wait" and that is all that happens.
    After more advice for acer support I created a new profile in Mobile Partner with the following settings:
    APN: Dynamic
    Access number: *99#
    Username:
    Password:
    Authentication Protocol Settings: CHAP

After trying this I still get the same messages so acer suggested I contact Vodafone. I call vodafone and no one picks up even after using 5pounds in credit and listening to a lot of bad waiting music.
    So I write a query to Vodafone using vodafones web site......... 24 hours later: no response.

How can I easily connect my E220 to my acer one?
    Do I need to change the profile settings outlined above?
    What are the Access number, Username and password details I should be using?

The E220 works fine in othere computers at the same location so I have ruled out signal strength.
    Other E220's get the same error messages from my One, so I have ruled out dodgy dongle.

I have been looking over the net for days and I am now at my wits ends

You do not understand how glad I would be for any help on this issue

Thanks.

adam.chucka, Nov 18, 2008
  2. adam.chucka

Duncan_Rowland

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 18, 2008
  3. adam.chucka

adam.chucka

Hi
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have searched for E220 on many sites and yet to come up with anything usefull.
    I am looking for information on someone who has successfuly connected their Vodafone E220 to their Acer One using Mobile partener, do they exist????
    I am still waiting a respose form vodafone via their support site. I have spent many £££££ waiting on vodafones "help" desk with no one picking up. I find it very irresponsible that when paying a for a 12month 3g contract Vodafone do not provide a free fone number for their customers. A bunch of monkey's.

adam.chucka, Nov 19, 2008
  4. adam.chucka

Duncan_Rowland

Duncan_Rowland, Nov 19, 2008
  5. adam.chucka

nixja6

you need to update the firmware on the modem itself to E220Update_11.117.09.04.00.B268 When you do this, you're flashing the modem so have a look online and follow the instructions. ie. don't unplug the modem in the middle of the update or you'll brick it.
    I don't remember where i found it(google it, there are lots of links), but after I did this I stopped getting the connected/disconnected msgs and it works just fine now ...both on my aspire linux and on my chunky xp dell

best of luck.

nixja6, Nov 19, 2008
  6. adam.chucka

nixja6

I ran the firmware update from my windows machine, don't know how it would work if you try and run it from the linux aspire

nixja6, Nov 19, 2008
  7. adam.chucka

Rufus The Dog

I had the problem of my E220 connecting and disconnecting ..from the Aspire ..not the network.. I updated the E220 and it works well now

http://mobile.broadband.org/news/72mbps ... re-upgrade

was one place that had links to upgrading. I had to do it on my XP laptop NOT the Aspire One

Rufus The Dog, Nov 22, 2008
  8. adam.chucka

adam.chucka

Oh my god that was so simple.
    We have been trying to get it working for two weeks now.
    Thank you both so much for your help. We don't know what else we would have done.

Cheers

adam.chucka, Nov 23, 2008
Ask a Question