Connecting to 3G network

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jesus, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Jesus

Jesus

I've just got an Acer Aspire One and am currently using the bundled distro, Linpus. I tried booting UNR off a flash drive and was very impressed, however there is one barrier before I can install.

I connect to the internet using a 3G modem which connects to an academic network provided by a company called Synetrix. When I plugged it in the first time Linpus brought up a dialog to configure it. All I had to do was type in my APN and I was away (Synetrix doesn't require usernames or passwords or anything else).

When I tried doing the same with UNR it brought up a wizard that gave me a list of ISPs, none of which were the one I wanted. I was able to get past this by choosing one at random, then editing the connection that was created and changing the details. However it insists I provide it with a telephone number to dial. I have no idea what this number would be.

Screenshots of both config tools: http://omploader.org/vMXdmZA

I know basically nothing about 3G so any pointers would be appreciated.

Jesus, Jul 3, 2009
  2. Jesus

melhiore

The same here. I was trying to run 3G over E160 USB modem. Modem is OK - system recognizes it OK but w/o telephone number I can not configure connection. I have no problems with Mandriva 2009.1 as its Network/Connection Manager does not require telephone number to dial...

In the mean time I did some research and spot this:

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13757

It's for o2 UK network but may help a bit...

melhiore, Jul 3, 2009
  3. Jesus

Jesus

From various sites it turns out the correct number to enter is *99#. This isn't an actual number that gets dialled, it just tells the modem to connect to the default APN.

This being the case I can't see what the problem is with my config; I'm therefore suspecting a driver issue.

Jesus, Jul 3, 2009
  4. Jesus

Gavarnos

I've had my fair share of problems with Huawei modems on Mac, different Linux distros and more recently Windows 7. UNR was probably the most pain free - you need to add the dialling number you've already described but also the APN for your mobile provider. For example, 3 uk is 3internet and Orange UK orangeinternet. You might also want to try unchecking the echo PPP packets tickbox if it's selected.

Lastly if that doesn't work googling your operator plus keywords APN, Echo PPP and leopard I reckon you'll find your settings soon enough. Iirc I found an Australian site which users had posted settings for operators worldwide..

Gavarnos, Jul 4, 2009
  5. Jesus

Jesus

Finally found solution here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/368325

Basically one just has to put nonsense values in the username and password fields because even if your provider doesn't require them NetworkManager will somehow fail to authenticate without them.

Jesus, Jul 4, 2009
  6. Jesus

melhiore

Just to let you know there is place where you can download Mobile Partner Dashboard for E160 since o2 software (Connection Manager) changes settings for Wi-Fi to get over control of wireless in your laptop. I upgraded to Mobile Partner and from now on I have Intel software to control my Wi-Fi and Mobile Partner to control 3G modem....

Link to mentioned download: http://www.unlocked-dongle.co.uk/Downloads/

melhiore, Jul 11, 2009
  7. Jesus

DutchDK

And the Linux version is where ?
    /points up on forum section name... ;)

DutchDK, Jul 11, 2009
  8. Jesus

melhiore

There is no Linux version TBH as Linux installs E160 automagically. However I'm sure most of Linux users also have Windows OS installed so this download can be useful for them ;)

melhiore, Jul 11, 2009
Ask a Question