Convert .deb to .rpm, possible?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by aldudturn, Sep 13, 2008.

1. aldudturn

aldudturn

I'd really like to try out SpiderOak, but unfortunately there's no .rpm file provided and just a .deb. Is it possible to convert the file to an rpm? I've heard of the program alien, but I couldn't figure out which version to install on the AAO. Cheers.

aldudturn, Sep 13, 2008
  2. aldudturn

aldudturn

Okay I figured out how to do this myself, for anyone who wants to do the same thing here is how you do it:

1. Download and install alien from here: http://www.4shared.com/file/32845863/a7 ... oarch.html
    2. Open up terminal and type sudo yum install rpm-build
    3. Open a terminal in the location where your .deb file is saved and type sudo alien -r yourfilenamehere.deb
    4. Give it a while (mine took about 30 seconds) and then it should complete and you'll have a .rpm file in your folder. :)

aldudturn, Sep 13, 2008
  3. aldudturn

aldudturn

Okay, the conversion allowed me to go as far as installing the program but that's about it, heh. I can see SpiderOak Backup in my Network menu but when I click on it, it doesn't do anything. Ah well. :cry:

aldudturn, Sep 13, 2008
  4. aldudturn

sideways

Try launching it from a terminal so that you can see what the error is.

sideways, Sep 13, 2008
  5. aldudturn

aldudturn

That's just typing SpiderOak in a terminal isn't it? Sorry, I'm a complete linux newbie. I've tried that anyway, and nothing comes up, it just goes down to the next line ready for another command.

aldudturn, Sep 13, 2008
  6. aldudturn

redwaterjug

Re: Convert .deb to .rpm, possible? SpiderOak

Any luck with this please? - I'd also like to run SpiderOak - works great on Mac, PC and will on Linux if I can get it to run.

redwaterjug, Dec 30, 2008
  7. aldudturn

redwaterjug

I also tried this

1. Download and install alien from here: http://www.4shared.com/file/32845863/a7 ... oarch.html
    2. Open up terminal and type sudo yum install rpm-build
    3. Open a terminal in the location where your .deb file is saved and type sudo alien -r yourfilenamehere.deb
    4. Give it a while (mine took about 30 seconds) and then it should complete and you'll have a .rpm file in your folder.

But had to insert another step between 2 and 3:

1A. rpm -ivh alien-8.69-1.fc8.noarch.rpm

When I ran "sudo alien -r yourfilenamehere.deb" I got a warning saying sudo alien -r yourfilenamehere.deb saying I should use the --scripts flag. But otherwise seemed to work and I now have the .rpm file.

Ran $ sudo rpm -ivh spideroak-6005-2.i386.rpm

which seemed to work. I now have SpiderOak backup in my Xfce network menu. But as with the previous poster running it does nothing.

8. aldudturn

redwaterjug

Re-ran with --scripts - and reinstalled using --replacepkgs

Now I get an error message /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.3797 line 14 apt-key: command not found

Can I anyone offer any insight into this?

Thanks in advance. :(

Ask a Question