Correct Version of Skype

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Quid, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Quid

Quid

Hi,

Attempting to install SKYPE on my AAO running Linpus Lite 1.0.9.E

The link on the AAO website to download SKYPE is broken.

- Filename: skype.sh.zip
    - Version: 2.0.0.72
    - File Size: 25,215KB
    - ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/netbook/aspire_ ... ype.sh.zip

Next port of call is the SKYPE website where there are ~10 variant of Linux based available for download,

Which is the correct version for AAO on Linpus?

I am guessing one of the following,
    DYNAMIC <http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-dynamic>
    STATIC <http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static>
    STATIC OSS <http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-oss>

Quid

Quid, Mar 24, 2009
  2. Quid

Grim Squeaker

The link to Acer you posted works fine for me...

Grim Squeaker, Mar 24, 2009
  3. Quid

colin

Stupidly I downloaded the current Skype for Fedora 9 because skype.com offers no earlier version. It installed fine but won't run. I even managed to get the Skype logo on the desktop, complete with mouse-over tag. I checked the installation and all the files appear to be in the right place. I have rebooted several times. Linpus 1.0.3 E.

The original Linpus when my wife bought this excellent machine was based on Fedora 7 but some sites report success with Skype for Fedora 8.

First I found the "hidden" configuration apps via File Manager, the File menu, clicked Terminal and then entered
    Code:
    xfce-setting-show
    This is really very important for nearly all users.
    I enabled the right mouse button menu and closed.
    I right-clicked the Skype icon on the desktop and uninstalled the erroneous version (beautiful - confidence growing).
    Next I downloaded the zip version mentioned above from:
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/netbook/aspire_one_110/linux/application/skype.sh.zip
    I unpacked using xarchiver (which is already installed) and clicked the rpm package.
    Skype installed as expected (I ignored the checksum warning and entered the root p/w).
    After rebooting, the logo appeared on the desktop in the same position as before.
    This indicates that this version handles updates group-app.xml (so no need to edit this in my case).
    Acer needs to keep this version available as it is impossible to find elsewhere - including skype.com.

However, skype will still not open. I opened a terminal entered "skype". This gave me:
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.9' not found
    The file is infact present and there is also another with the same folder, date and size called libstdc++.so.6.0.8
    I googled the problem for while with no luck - just warnings about upgrading GLIB. Looks like the end of the line.

SKYPE IS NOW WORKING!!

This is what I did:
    1. uninstalled my last attempt (and got help from guru programer Christopher Carter - the creator of UBT Backup)
    2. downloaded the "Static" version from Skype's Linux Download page and unpacked being careful to select the "full path" option.
    3. Read the README file (which confused me but I did use its recommended filepaths).
    4. Double clicked the Skype executable in the file browser.
    5. It opened straight away . . . and I could make a call.

But that was not perfect.
    Next I opened a terminal, switched to root (see elsewhere about these) and moved the files as follows:
    skype executable > /usr/bin
    skype.desktop > /usr/share/applications (getting ready to add skype to the desktop)
    all the other files and folders > /usr/share/skype
    copy /avatars/Skype.png > /usr/share/skype/icons (note initial capital)

The "static" version contains the right versions of all the libraries and other OS files that Skype needs. This neatly overcomes the problems with different versions of Fedora. And it should work on all versions of Linux.

Skype should still be working but it will not appear on the desktop. So I followed the instructions on:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/05 ... page3.html
    to edit group-app.xml and rebooted. Voila!
    Finally, I deleted the files in /Downloads

[If you need to know how to copy, move and delete files in the terminal, try:
    http://linuxcommand.gds.tuwien.ac.at/le ... p#contents
    ]
    colin

colin, Dec 28, 2009
  4. Quid

ahab

FYI:
    i did similar; i installed skype for fedora (8 i think), but it didn't run.
    i then (without removing the skype for fedora) installed the old ver. of skype from acer for aspire 1 ; it installed & ran ok, but it does not do video just audio (& text).
    cheers, ahab.

ahab, Jan 2, 2010
  5. Quid

ahab

PS does anyone know where we can get 'Skype for Fedora 7' if that's the only newish version that works?
    cheers, ahab

ahab, Jan 2, 2010
  6. Quid

colin

Thanks for your help. I now have Skype 2.0 working on my wife's AA0 110 (audio and receives video at least). To keep things tidy I edited my original post - see above.

colin

colin, Jan 2, 2010
Ask a Question