CPU always at 1600MHz

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jaf76, Jul 17, 2009.

1. jaf76

jaf76

Hello everybody,

This is my first post in this forum.

I'm going to use my Aspire One AOA150 to control a CNC machine so I need the CPU always working at 1600MHz, if the CPU is in Dynamic Mode, the software is not working well.

How can I do it?

I know that A1CTL is almost that, but I only can select for the CPU, Dynamic or 800MHz, but not 1600MHz and the minimum requeriments for the software I'm going to use is 1000MHz.

How can I select always 1600MHz?

Thanks in advance

Juan

jaf76, Jul 17, 2009
  2. jaf76

DutchDK

The problem is that on XP and later OS's from Microsoft, the control over the throttling of the Intel CPU's has been integrated in the powersavings control panel applet, and not controlled by the Intel supplied SpeedSteep applet.

Read this, and then select the appropriate powersaving scheme for your needs : http://www.orthogonalthought.com/blog/i ... -profiles/

DutchDK, Jul 17, 2009
  3. jaf76

jaf76

Thank you for the link!! :)

I just finish to do all the steps, I created a new profile with the name CNC, then I changed the values but the CPU speed is changing too.

You can see the image.

[​IMG]

Juan

jaf76, Jul 17, 2009
  4. jaf76

DutchDK

Just use the "Allways On" powerscheme. Works for me. Or download SpeedSwitchXP (a remake of the Intel SpeedStep application, that works on XP), and use that to control the cpu throttling.

DutchDK, Jul 17, 2009
  5. jaf76

jaf76

I'm testing the profile and if the profile is working with "Adaptive", usually is working at 800MHz and changing sometimes to 1600MHz, if I'm working with "None", usually is at 800MHz, but if I do something, changes to 1600MHz very quick.

If the profile works like "None", it's much more sensitive to change to 1600MHZ, but the speed changes from 800 to 1600MHZ.

Maybe I can use it with no problem to control the CNC, I'm going to test now, if the program is running and the CPU changes the speed, the software is not going to work well.

More ideas?

Thanks to DutchDK!!!

Juan

jaf76, Jul 17, 2009
  6. jaf76

DutchDK

Don't run A1CTL at the same time, since A1CTL also wants to control the cputhrottling - A1CTL sets the speed either to dynamic (adaptive) or fixed at 800 Mhz. No option in A1CTL to set it to max performance.
    So if you want A1CTL running, you need to set the powerscheme after A1CTL starts, so it isn't using the a1ctl powerscheme.

DutchDK, Jul 17, 2009
  7. jaf76

jaf76

I'm not using A1CTL but I was testing the software you told me, SpeedSwitchXP.

If I use SpeedSwitchXP I can see the speed at 1600MHz always but using CPU-Z at the same time, it tells me 800MHz, if I use something the two programs tell me 1600MHz.

I'm testing the software for my CNC and looks working well so I'm going to use only the profile "Always ON"

Thank you again!!!

A pleasure!!

Juan

jaf76, Jul 17, 2009
Ask a Question