Cracked Screen defect?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Jeffu, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Jeffu

Jeffu

I was googling around looking at AAO skins (applied mine from decalgirl today) and came across comments about the AAO having a screen cracking problem, and then going on to finding out many others have had it. Supposedly after a few months the screen will just crack magically - this has me worried.

Has it happened to any of you? I just bought a 9 cell battery and a skin so the prospect of it crapping out on me soon is scary. :(

Jeffu, Jul 23, 2009
  2. Jeffu

garrovick

There is no "magic" to it. I'm on my fifth laptop and have never had a screen crack.

Cracking laptop screens is not an unknown phenomenon industry wide. Just take some care opening and closing. Don't put pens or pencils on the keyboard and forget. Don't leave it in a hot car in the Summer or in the Winter let it warm up awhile to close to room temperature before opening. Also try not to leave it on the floor or chairs and sofas.

garrovick, Jul 23, 2009
  3. Jeffu

Jeffu

Oh, okay then. People saying it never happened with their other laptops but only their Acer made me go "D:"

I've had mine since late 2008 now that I think of it, but I became paranoid anyways.

Thanks for the advice, I will take extra care with my AAO. haha :)

Jeffu, Jul 24, 2009
  4. Jeffu

Tamrac

Extra care is not needed at all, hehe. Just the usual care. Those who experienced cracked LCDs are the ones who put their netbooks inside backpacks or bags together with heavy books and stuff... it's the weight of these things pressing on the AAO w/c causes the cracks. Our group purchased more than a dozen AAO when it 1st came out, and non ever had the screen crack.

Tamrac, Jul 24, 2009
  5. Jeffu

adrienne12

If a screen gets cracked, is there any way to repair it?

adrienne12, Aug 5, 2009
  6. Jeffu

rmorgan712

Yes, I ordered a replacement screen from smartmicrousa.com. They shipped right away. I watched a youtube video for installing a touch screen to see the disassembly process. It was far more complicated for a touch screen. All I had to do was remove the screw caps on the top - 4 across top; one each lower corner. Then I popped of the cover. There are a few screws on the inside to be exchanged. Just take care lifting out the screen. There are a few wires under it and a connector. I gently removed them and pulled lightly on each side of the connector with my exacto knife; alternating side to side until it came apart. I reassembled with the new screen.

As you can tell by my lack of techno speak this was all very new to me. I completed the task in about 25 minutes, because I wasn't certain what I would find and I wanted to remember how it all went back together. It was all quite easy. The alternative ... the local computer shop was willing to repair it for more than I paid for the Aspire One. I figured it was a $100 gamble (the cost of the screen) and it was worth it. Good luck.

rmorgan712, Aug 11, 2009
Ask a Question