Create recovery disc failure: ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by PhoenixW2, Aug 23, 2011.

1. PhoenixW2

PhoenixW2

I'm trying to create a recovery flashdrive for my Aspire One.

I boot it up on my desktop, all seems to go ok, I go through the welcome screen etc., and then the on-screen command says to 'Select a USB drive, and click next'

Except none are listed. Nothing is listed.

Any ideas?

PhoenixW2, Aug 23, 2011
  2. PhoenixW2

JimK

Have you tried a different flash drive? Have you tried a different USB port? Is the USB port in the computer or in an external hub? Perhaps the recovery won't recognize the hub USBs.

It's been a while since I tried to create a backup, but my recovery DVD stopped working for no apparent reason, too. I just can't remember if it's the same problem that you're having.

JimK, Aug 23, 2011
  3. PhoenixW2

PhoenixW2

Hi JimK,

Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

No I haven't tried another flashdrive, I don't have another at hand. The one I'm using is 8GB and I've copied everything off it, so it's empty. I've just created a test file (Excel) and put it back onto it, and it seems to function fine.

Subsequently I've taken that file back off, so the flashdrive is again empty. But everything to my non-techie eyes suggests it is functioning, as it the USB port.
    I've tried switching the USB port, from amongst those that are 'internal'., i.e. on the front panel of my desktop box. Hmmm.

It is like my PC is quite content with the flashdrive and it being there, but the Acer Recovery procedure is just blind to it.

After flipping ports etc around I've tried again, and now the system won't even boot from the Acer disk, it just boots as per normal straight into Windows (I have re-checked that the CD has boot priority as #1 in the BIOS). I can view the contents of the disc via 'My Computer', but don't know if I can somehow manually run it given auto boot-up seems to do nothing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm on the point of giving up! :?

PhoenixW2, Aug 23, 2011
  4. PhoenixW2

PhoenixW2

Some progress.

Yesterday I had the Acer disk in the top of the two ODDs in my desktop. That was when the Recovery routine couldn't see my flashdrive (or any other drive).

Today I had put it in the bottom drive, and that is when it just booted into Windows.

I thought on a whim after my previous post to put the Acer disc into the top drive and reboot.

Hey presto, it booted back into the Acer disc, but for the first time also gave me options of creating a Recovery Disc onto the flashdrive, or my HDD. Why was it unable to see these yesterday, no idea!?

Anyway, it looks like I have successfully created said 'disc' onto my flashdrive now, it took around 6 minutes. As it's very late here I'll get back to trying to finish the job tomorrow.

PhoenixW2, Aug 24, 2011
  5. PhoenixW2

PhoenixW2

An update:

I was able to run the Recovery process. It was intuitive though slow at c. 15 minutes. Now I understand the warning to make sure you have the unit on mains supply before starting.

So, now I have a functioning netbook back up and running.

Thx for your suggestions Jim, and hope this might maybe help someone else in future.

PhoenixW2, Aug 24, 2011
Ask a Question