CrunchBang Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bassetts, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Bassetts

apauloisdead

Just wanted to say thank you for the guide! I'm glad you explained how to install the custom kernel, as many guides don't. I'm very happy with #!, and i think my distro hopping is over.

apauloisdead, Apr 17, 2009
  2. Bassetts

snowlord

At the end of the installation guide there is a link to a page which discusses some ways to decrease wear on the SSD and increase performance. What is your (I'm addressing the people who are running #! on the 110L) experience with doing that? Have you all done it, because otherwise the AA1 will crash and burn, or is that just an optional step for the more advanced users?

Thanks,
    snowlord

snowlord, Apr 21, 2009
  3. Bassetts

superpp

crunchbang looks good, one question...

does it support 3G dongles, especially a Huwaei E160?
    currently running Mandriva and this works fine.

superpp, Apr 21, 2009
  4. Bassetts

csmo

csmo, Apr 21, 2009
  5. Bassetts

Mr. Paradox

Question:

Which is better for the Aspire One? CrunchEee or Crunchbang Standard? I have the 10.1" Aspire One, which doesn't use the SSD, but has a HDD. So, in your opinion, is there much of a difference?

Mr. Paradox, Apr 22, 2009
  6. Bassetts

csmo

There's no idea in installing the Cruncheee release if you own an Acer. The only thing that's good about that release is the smaller default font settings, but then you'll have some Asus specific programs you might wanna get rid off instead since they don't do anything for your One besides taking up space. Grab the lite or standard edition instead and follow the Crunchbang wiki's Acer Aspire One how-to and you're good to go.

csmo, Apr 22, 2009
  7. Bassetts

charlie01

It has been working good for me,,To make my wireless stronger i updated the Cruncheee Kernel to 2.6.27-11 generic.
    and it made my wireless alot stronger,,It pics up alot of different signals in the neighborhood compared to a couple before.

As far as my card readers,,They have always worked as long as i boot up with the sd card installed,,Then from there i can remove it ,,and install it and it will hot plug with no problems,,,But if i boot up without it in,,It wont read it.

This isnt an issue for me,,because i tend to store it in its own slot,,LOL
    I used theis link to do all the updateing with,,I opted to do the Athero`s wireless method to update my wireless,,With this method the led wireless light doesnt come on,,But the switch works.
    If you choose you can do the Mad wifi method,,with this the led will work.But will take a short bit longer to compile the driver.
    Here is were all the info i used to make it work better are.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne110L

There are ways to fix the ssd card to hot plug at any time,,But it was alittle over my head,,But it works for me as long as i boot with the ssd inserted.

charlie01, Apr 22, 2009
  8. Bassetts

exwannabe

You will not self destruct by ignoring this. Given that netbooks probably will have no more than 1-2 year life anyway the wear issue is not that bad.

BUT, they will also improve performance (SSD writes suck).

The 2 big issues are to not use EXT3 and make a tmp filesystem in ram.

If you are comfortable installing from scratch then why not give these a try? Worst case is you reinstall if you screw up too bad.

exwannabe, Apr 23, 2009
  9. Bassetts

snowlord

Thanks! Will do!

snowlord, Apr 23, 2009
  10. Bassetts

snowlord

I went ahead and I am very happy. Finally I have also posted a small howto on how to do it with some small additions of my own. Below is a short list on my changes. Go to my post for detailed instructions.

My install:
    1. Follow the installation guide and be sure to use ext2 for the file system.
    2. Follow the instructions to reduce wear and increase performance.
    3. Add suspend and hibernate options to logout dialog.
    4. Make the AA1 suspend when the lid is closed.
    5. Make fonts smaller.
    6. Add Alt-F11 key-binding to maximize windows with no decorations.

I have some remaining issues too:
    1. I get no on screen indication when I adjust the volume or mute it with the Fn-keys. Similarily I get no indication when I toggle the wifi switch. When changing the screen brightness I get an indication sometimes but not always.
    2. The wifi led is totally dead but I think there are guides for making it work.
    3. When resuming the AA1 after suspending it I get a password prompt. This feels almost totally useless since I use auto-login when starting the computer anyway. I haven’t found a setting to disable the password prompt yet.
    4. There are probably other programs that have their own font settings. But that’s mostly a question of configuring as the need arises.

EDIT: grammar and speling

snowlord, May 4, 2009
Ask a Question