Crystal CPUID overclocking?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Ranger Wolf, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Ranger Wolf

Ranger Wolf

I was messing around with this program Crystal CPUID and i noticed it had a feature for our cpu's to overclock through "Intel Enhanced Speedstep Control". it lets you set the multiplier and voltage to the cpu. heres what it looks like
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... rclock.jpg

this is the first program i've known to be able to access this on the AAO. can anyone see if they get overclocking, or if the voltage increase/ decrease does take effect?

Ranger Wolf, Jan 31, 2009
  2. Ranger Wolf

jeremysdad

Not trying to be a jerk, but why don't you try it? Why should someone else put their machine in harm's way to see if this works? Just wondering... ;)

jeremysdad, Jan 31, 2009
  3. Ranger Wolf

Ranger Wolf

I infact did try it myself. i was unable to see any effect. but i also don't know any programs or even a way to see if voltage changes do take effect through this program. Thats why i was asking. maybe we can find a way to overclock the atom maybe? i dunno. thats why i was trying to share and see if anyone could obtain results.

4. Ranger Wolf

Ranger Wolf

I've been looking around all day into Intel Enhanced Speedstep Tech. From what i've found this is what we need"
    We must have these 4 in our AAo's because the processor speed can be changed dynamically on need and power settings. but i wonder if we can bump it up past the x6 multiplier to gain more speed.

EDIT: I use intel's program to get the comparisons to show what i mean.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn13 ... elatom.jpg
    If the processor can go down and up as its needed, can we not make it go higher then 1.60 gHz with this speed step tech? apparently we can bring it up to 12x multiple from 6x

5. Ranger Wolf

jackluo923

I used to use this program to control the voltage and multiplyer. I was able to run the cpu at lowest voltage at full speed. But after a while, i quit using the program. I found a better way to "speed up" AAO. VMware on quadcore with remote display on the AAO is the way to go.

Only if crystal CPUID could downclock and undervolt intel's crappy Integrated video card.

jackluo923, Jan 31, 2009
  6. Ranger Wolf

jeremysdad

Sorry, but you didn't make that very clear. It sounded like you were afraid it would damage your machine, and wanted someone else to try it first. Again, I apologize if I came across like a jerk... :oops:

jeremysdad, Feb 1, 2009
  7. Ranger Wolf

Ranger Wolf

hey no worries about it ^_^

I don't have much knowledge on this whole issue. i hope maybe someone can figure out what to do

Apaprently, you MUST ahev a driver on XP to enable speedstep. maybe a "modified" driver could unlock the full power of the atom??? :?

Ranger Wolf, Feb 1, 2009
  8. Ranger Wolf

goofball

the chipset draws more power than the CPU. What you would want to do is lower the stress on the chipset so downclock by lowering bus speed would be a better way to keep the system cool. The heatsink goes over the chipset as well as the CPU.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any software that can access the clock generator and change values.

goofball, Feb 1, 2009
  9. Ranger Wolf

jackluo923

setfsb
    crystal cpuid
    clockgen
    nhc
    speedfan

are all capable of accesssing and changing the clock generator values.

jackluo923, Feb 1, 2009
  10. Ranger Wolf

Frojd

Sorry, but not on the AAO unfortunately! This has been discussed many times before in these forums. Crystal CPUID should be able to lock the CPU att full speed on lowest speed step voltage, but it can't do more than that (and I haven't gotten it to work, quick guide jackluo? :) ).

Frojd, Feb 2, 2009
  11. Ranger Wolf

jackluo923

I've never said these programs work on AAO. The person just asked, what kind of software can control clock generator and change values.

jackluo923, Feb 3, 2009
  12. Ranger Wolf

goofball

ok, my bad, i thought it was obvious i meant on the AAO (that's what this forum is for?) but in case it wasn't clear, let me make it so. I do not know of any software that can access the clock generator on the AAO.

goofball, Feb 3, 2009
Ask a Question