'Curly quotes' in Writer - how to get them?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Payndz, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Payndz

Payndz

I'm seriously tempted to pick up a One as a 'travel' laptop to supplement my MacBook, having played with one in PC World (though I'll wait for the white model... and also for it to be available from somewhere that doesn't charge £30 more than everyone else!), but there's one concern putting me off.

For the One to be any use to me for work (I'm a writer), I absolutely must be able to use 'curly quotes' (“ ” ‘ ’) in text documents. I know from experimenting in PC World that they're found in Writer by calling up the Special Characters menu... but that's far too slow and complicated for my purposes, as it would mean doing it every single time I used an apostrophe, never mind speech marks! On a Mac, they're available as Alt/Alt-Shift options on the [ and ] keys - I need them to be that easy to type on the One, and so far they don't appear to be.

(I know that in theory I could use alternate characters to represent them and do a search and replace later, but that's annoying, time-consuming and runs the risk of something being left in by mistake if I mistype.)

So my question is, is there a fast and simple way to use curly quotes in Writer on a One without mucking about in a submenu? Because if there is, that pretty much seals the deal and I'll be buying my first non-Apple computer in over a decade!

Payndz, Jul 23, 2008
  2. Payndz

dougman

{} Like those? I've certainly got them on the UK keyboard, shift and [ or ]

dougman, Jul 23, 2008
  3. Payndz

ovidius

He means curly “quotes” like i Just wrote not brackets. I get them on my German keyboard with Alt Gr + v for “ and Alt Gr + b for ”.

ovidius, Jul 23, 2008
  4. Payndz

dougman

My bad! Bit much red bull last night I think causing me to confuse quotes and brackets!

dougman, Jul 24, 2008
  5. Payndz

Payndz

Thanks, I'll have to try that out - next time I get a chance, that is, as when I went into PC World today I was told that all the Aspire Ones had been recalled!

So if Alt Gr + v and b give double quotes, how do you get single quotes (‘ and ’) ?

Payndz, Jul 24, 2008
  6. Payndz

Davidcowling

in the special characters dialog box you should be able to assign them to a key combination of your choice

Davidcowling, Jul 25, 2008
  7. Payndz

Payndz

Tested it out (on an EEE, admittedly), and [Shift] Alt Gr + b and v gives both double and single curly quotes in Writer. So as a result... I just ordered an Aspire One!

Payndz, Aug 3, 2008
  8. Payndz

Davidcowling

siick :D

did you assign the symbols to the buttons??

Davidcowling, Aug 4, 2008
Ask a Question