Custom kernel

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Sarvatt, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

It *should* work, the debug quirk puts it in 25mhz mode so its more compatable, it's the only other option I have that I could see influencing it.

Sarvatt, Apr 18, 2009
  2. Sarvatt

baldric_deleted

Well I've tried your suggestion and it still doesn't work for me. I also had a problem following my BIOS upgrade because I then lost the touchpad (tested with your kernel, my kernel and the default jaunty kernel) so I have reverted to 3114 which works fine for me. Sadly still no sony memory stick though.

I've also been looking in more detail at your kernel config and frankly I'm a little puzzled by some of your decisions. For example you seem to have built modules which according to your april 16 post, you then blacklist. Why bother?

baldric_deleted, Apr 22, 2009
  3. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

Because other people might use them, it doesn't hurt to leave the option in there, and I remove them from the blacklist if I need them and/or am off of battery power. I don't know which you're referring to but the ones I've left in I've made sure don't get loaded in my initramfs or interfere with normal operation but make the kernel more portable for people using it on other atom based systems. the watchdog timer I only need if I'm testing new drivers out, joydev I only use very rarely.

Sorry you're having problems, don't know what else to tell you though because it's working fine here even with the stock ubuntu kernel and is probably not a kernel problem in the first place.

Sarvatt, Apr 23, 2009
  4. Sarvatt

csmo

Sarvatt, do you know whether your kernel will work on the Atom N280 GN40 chipset model? When trying Sickboy's Kuki kernel I get an initramfs prompt at boot up and can't progress any further from there. Is your kernel supporting the new Ones?

csmo, Apr 24, 2009
  5. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

It should, the force AHCI mode won't work because I dont have the pci id's for the GN40 chipset in there but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Sarvatt, Apr 24, 2009
  6. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

Good news, the gcc-atom patch is included in the gcc 4.4 package in this PPA, and should be included in karmic's toolchain I imagine. I was just repackaging it and applying the atom patches when I noticed it already included it.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain/+archive/ppa

Sarvatt, Apr 25, 2009
  7. Sarvatt

abzack

Quick questions. I was using 2.6.29.1.20090414.sickboy and my wifi reception was 100%. I just upgraded to 2.6.30-rc3-atom and my reception dropped to 65%. Why and how can I adjust?
    On the bright side, with .29 with system up and wifi connected, I was using 72MB ram. With .30-rc3 system and wifi up I'm at 56MB. I've been trying to shave off system ram usage since my AAO came with XP that took @ 400MB.

abzack, Apr 26, 2009
  8. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

with ath5k? there have been alot of changes in ath5k recently, it could be a regression. have you compared the outputs from iwconfig between the two or are you going off of network manager's signal meter? I don't think you should hit 100% quality even with the laptop sitting next to the router. ath5k completely sucked back when I was using it in the 2.6.28 days and kept me at low bitrates which made the quality higher, is it possible the better signal was at a lower bitrate? Try raising the txpower via sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower <whatever> to see if it helps?

It looks like they lowered the default txpower from 15dBm to 12.5dBm in this commit so hopefully just a sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower 15dBm will put it back to normal. The max should be 31.5dBm

http://sarvatt.com/git/cgit.cgi/linux/c ... ffd7b64c50

you can add iwconfig commands to /etc/acpi/ac.d/60-network.sh and /etc/acpi/battery.d/60-network.sh to have different power levels based on ac or battery.

Sarvatt, Apr 27, 2009
  9. Sarvatt

tomt

Hi

Will this work on the Acer Aspire One 10.1" D150 ?

tomt, Apr 27, 2009
  10. Sarvatt

abzack

I was just going off of network manager, which I know is not the most accurate. :oops: I ran sudo iwconfig wlan0 txpower 15dBm. Network manager has me at 68% and here is the iwconfig output:
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"XXXXXXXXXX"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
    Bit Rate=5.5 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:eek:ff Fragment thr:eek:ff
    Power Management:eek:ff
    Link Quality=47/70 Signal level=-63 dBm Noise level=-101 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

It connects immediately and I haven't had any issues with the connection. Thanks for the response, I learned something new today. :D

abzack, Apr 27, 2009
  11. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

what's the standard txpower? network manager might raise it to a higher level and you might have lowered it doing that :D

Bit Rate=5.5 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm

That looks pretty nasty though, it's falling back to that low of a bitrate to keep the signal clean. try txpower 20dBm and see if its any better. I have almost the exact same card in one of my other laptops and it isn't that bad in -rc3

03:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter [168c:001c] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:137a]

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"rrh002"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:14:BF:20:26:9B
    Bit Rate=36 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:eek:ff Fragment thr=2352 B
    Link Quality=43/70 Signal level=-67 dBm Noise level=-94 dBm

I'll look into it on the ath5k-devel mailing list and see if theres any fixes for this for the next release.

It should.

Sarvatt, Apr 27, 2009
  12. Sarvatt

abzack

Seems to be working better today. I went to 20dBm and here is the iwconfig output:

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"xxxxxxxx"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point:00:00:00:00:00:00
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:eek:ff Fragment thr:eek:ff
    Link Quality=60/70 Signal level=-50 dBm Noise level=-101 dBm

network-manager reads 82~85%. Much better than previously.

abzack, Apr 28, 2009
  13. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

I'm stopping the builds for now since 9.10 karmic is up including the kernel and working well, will start up again when they stop tracking the newest kernels and start following stable patches on older ones (probably in june unless they pull another intrepid). For anyone else using karmic's kernels, be sure to add enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=1 to your grub default boot options. Karmic's GCC-4.4 does include the gcc-atom patch :)

Sarvatt, Apr 29, 2009
  14. Sarvatt

tomt

Hi Sarvatt
    Thanks for the reply..

How do I install it ??
    Do I just down the linux-image-2.6.30-rc3-atom_042309.Sarvatt_i386.deb and run that ??

Currently I have a couple of slight issues with 9.04:
    A slight pause (5 - 10 seconds) after selecting Ubuntu in grub before it loads. It just sits there saying starting up.
    and once I log in another 20 second pause before I get the desktop and can use it !!

Will this kernel help ??

tomt, Apr 29, 2009
  15. Sarvatt

tomt

I installed this on my D150, reboot and selected the option from grub.

Boot up was still slow... Starting Up... PAUSE
    Once it had booted it froze.

tomt, Apr 29, 2009
  16. Sarvatt

baldric_deleted

That's reasonable.

I'm still having problems with sony memory sticks but have now decided to ignore that and simply load them into a USB card reader. It is inconvenient because it means I have to cart around an extra bit of kit. Serves me right for using kit whch needs them (but I do like movies on my PSP).

baldric_deleted, Apr 29, 2009
  17. Sarvatt

Infected24

Hi, im using your kernel since yesterday and i notice 2 things:

1) An improve with the lastest intel driver (2.7.0, almost 760fps at gxlgears. But sometimes after booting kernel and modules, theres no X11, just a black screen. I have to press shutdown button for 10 seconds to power off. :?
    2) Sound have an issue. Its softer, like 50% less louder compared with the default ubuntu jacky kernel. I also notice there's no HDA INTEL ALC268 ANALOG (OSS) in Sound menu.

Infected24, Apr 30, 2009
  18. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

yep! althought you might want to just use the ubuntu karmic kernel instead. as of right now the newest is here - http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/m ... 2_i386.deb

doesn't sound that abnormal, stuff is just going on without being verbose about it. you can try removing splash and quiet from the boot line if you want to see whats going on. adding concurrency=shell may help, it takes about 8 seconds off my boot time combined with changing the line in /etc/init.d/rc to CONCURRENCY=shell. The pause before the desktop is most likely from readahead preloading stuff to make app start times faster after the boot. that or something like your network is taking a long time to initalize. the stock jaunty kernel boots in 21 seconds on my HDD based AA1 from a fresh install..

That happens to me on 2.6.30 based kernels occasionally when I change between KMS and non KMS modes using UXA. Is that what you did when you experienced it? I don't use 2.7.0 so I can't be sure. Have you tried my xserver-xorg-video-intel, drm, and mesa from xorg-edgers PPA?

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

I didn't build OSS support into the kernel on purpose, sorry if you need it for something :( As for the sound problems, they might stem from the fact you are using ALSA 1.18 libs and userspace apps with ALSA 1.19 from the kernel. You do have model=acer-aspire in your alsa modprobe conf right? There is a WHOLE lot that can go wrong with sound with the mismash of pulseaudio and alsa, I couldn't begin to tell you where to start looking without any info :D I have newer alsa packages for jaunty in my PPA here https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/ppa if you want to give them a shot, might want to get pulseaudio 0.9.15 while your at it from https://launchpad.net/~themuso/+archive/ppa/

Sarvatt, May 1, 2009
  19. Sarvatt

Sarvatt

Sarvatt, May 1, 2009
  20. Sarvatt

csmo

That's amazing! What model exactly do you own? With the newest D150 it takes me about 50 seconds to desktop and wifi. Please spill the beans, Sarvatt. :)

csmo, May 1, 2009
Ask a Question